on 6 March 2014
This was possibly one of the worst books I've read in a long time. The plot has a promising start, but quickly disappoints. Many of the characters are very two-dimensional much of what happens is extremely predictable. However, the real issue is that the quality of the writing is really quite appallingly bad. It is riddled with so many errors in grammar and punctuation that it was at times really very difficult to read. I was actually quite surprised that it had even been published in that state. If you ever thought that editing was unimportant, read this book and you'll discover that it's vital.
on 23 March 2014
I found Miss Appleby an intriguing character - strong and vulnerable in equal measure.

Misunderstandings by many of the characters, and the choices they made as a result, had sometimes devastating consequences. Elizabeth Gill's portrayal of the Durham area at the beginning of the twentieth century is striking, as is her portrayal of the people. Hard lives were lived by so many and they were often hard on themselves and each other. Did the bleakness of the landscape and challenging weather encourage such harshness?

Miss Appleby's Academy is a story which will stay with you for a while. I'm looking forward to reading more novels by Elizabeth Gill. The first one I read was Far from My Father's House, which I loved.

Jasmine Sparks
Author of the Dolly Series of books
Dolly: Dolly Series: Book 1
on 14 April 2017
I did enjoy the stir taking me forwards. I liked the way the history of County Durham was the basis of this. The place of the owners and the workers. The role of the Methodist Church in finding a humanty and value....
on 14 April 2017
A good read.
on 11 March 2017
good
on 8 July 2014
I liked it. It was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get home and read when I had 10 minutes to myself.
on 9 November 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, it is by an author that I have not read before, and have to say I found it to be an interesting and a good read.
on 24 September 2013
A really atmospheric setting .Well written with some amazing descriptive passages leading the reader into the scene .Well worth reading .
on 27 April 2017
Lvly little story that I stayed awake to finish.
on 11 July 2015
super book well worth reading.