on 16 May 2013
I bought this book with the intention of understanding a bit more about Minecraft as my 9 year old is obsessed and speaks of little else. From that respect the book is great as it's very clear with lots of screenshots and a step by step guide to getting started.

My son swiped it soon after it arrived in the house though as has taken it to bed with him every night since. He is a reluctant reader and its difficult to get him to read anything but he has read this from cover to cover and has it with him when he is playing so he can look things up that he doesn't understand. He discovered how to do things like build beacons and how to use potions ( or something like that!).

We have recommended it to all the Minecraft fans we know. It's particularly great for younger players as I suspect older players can get what info they need from forums and such but my son does not yet know how to the navigate the web that well and I am happy to delay that for as long as possible.
11 Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2015
Minecraft is a fabulous game once you understand it. Although this book introduced me to the game still this book is basically rubbish. It might be worth 20 pence in a charity shop. I do intend to explain why:

1. It started well, giving the basics however by the chapter 4 the author did not even bother to explain how ingredients should be arranged at the work bench, it is not good just saying 2 of those and 1 of that.

2. I decided to build my castle using the easiest found materials, the book did not warn me that it will be all will destroyed if there is a rain. Minecraft tries to simulate natural environments, of course there will be a rain.

3. A very important one, the writer insist on playing on the level where you do not get hurt. Basically the level for a kindergarten.

Only the first 2 chapters were written to help you, the rest is 10 times worse then Wikipedia.

The author should be fired by the books of "for Dummies".

I get the feeling the author never played the game he just copied information on the net without even experiencing or knowing it.

This book should not only be hated but banned.
on 1 May 2017
Very good book for minecraft mad kids
on 28 November 2014
A+
on 21 May 2013
This book really helped me with minecraft and I would recommend it massively!!!
Best minecraft book there is that I know of!!!
on 18 October 2013
This is s very thorough introduction that both my 10 year old and 8 year old can easily follow and benefit from. It is an invaluable starting point for them.
on 15 August 2013
I'm very experienced at minecraft and I still got lots of new tips on how to do lots more things in minecraft I would recommend this book to all minecraft players
on 4 December 2013
I choose this for my niece and son who are huge minecraft fans. Whilst I don't understand this minecraft phenomenon I am confident they will learn loads from this brilliant book. Just scanning through this book it looks informative, educational and fun. I'm really pleased with it.
on 26 April 2013
The book is really good! Each page is in detailed writing and is full of colour! This is an ideal book for the starters in minecraft to the complex players, This book doesnt just tell you about the game but about how you can buy it, using Mojang Etc.. I love it, Would certainly recommend to a friend!
on 28 August 2014
I usually associate the dummies brand with taking high quality information and ordering it in a way I can understand.

The classic structure is still there but I felt the quality of the writing and the content seemed to be lacking...