on 1 January 2013
Succinct, yet warm, accessible yet meaningful. For these reasons this is by far the best book on mindfulness i have ever read. Highly recommended; do yourself a kindness and buy this wondeful little book.
on 9 April 2017
Excellent little book of support and wisdom. Easy to read and easy to apply the mindfulness approach. I liked this book so much that I bought a few copies for family and friends. A great companion.
on 19 March 2014
Straight forward easy read about focussing on the moment. I would recommednd this to anyone interested in mindfulness and thginking about the value of meditation.
on 5 April 2016
My favourite mindfulness book...outstanding!
on 13 June 2013
I found this book impossible to put down and at a time in my life where I question everything I thought was lacking, it made me mindful of how fortunate I am; and that happiness and peace come from within and have always been there. The exercises are explained easily and as a mental health nurse I feel I can share with my patients what I practice at home. A peaceful skill for life, that shuts out the negative noise from our chattering brains.
on 5 May 2013
It does what it says on the tin! Literally! I bought this book as I was intrigued as to how Doyle is succinct in his delivery. It took me 3 sittings to read this book and Doyle makes an interesting and thought provoking read. No in depth philosophy on life, no mentioned of religion, and certainly no ideas on who and how to be...

The book is simply attempting quite successfully on how to stop worrying (about the past, perhaps what may happen in the future), and to enjoy the present through giving your brain a rest! Easier said than done, however, he puts a good case across in basically using a quick form of meditation (and no, no whale music or sitting legs crossed on a meditation cushion is required). We go about our daily lives without actually living them in the full awareness that the present deserves. In doing so, it relieves our brains of the voices we all hear incessantly about the past and worrying about the future. For me it reminds me of being aware. Awareness is something that we all lose leaving childhood, that is the simple things in life that we start taking for granted as we reach adulthood and beyond. Oh to relive the wonder and amazement that children experience! Well, actually you can! Being aware and mindful daily does bring about a comforting and self well being euphoria, practicing is believing!
on 14 July 2013
As far as overviews into mindfulness go, this book does well. It is clear and concise in its delivery making the text readable and accessible for all, not just academics.

Doyle has broken down the subject of mindfulness into bite-size, manageable topics making it easy to take in the information provided. The sub-sections in which these topics are placed provide a gradual path that takes you through brief explanations and applications for real life. They also provide handy reference points if you're looking to skim read this book for the sections you require.

However, for me as a novice within this area, I found this book created more questions than it answered. The more I read the more I wanted to question, and that subsequently led to me challenging the concept of mindfulness - something I'm sure the author did not intend. I think the topic of mindfulness brings up many queries as it is being discussed, and although Doyle touches upon some of them, I found myself seeking bigger, greater explanations. As the title suggests 'Plain & Simple' Doyle was obviously trying to avoid complex discussions and explanations. Unfortunately his approach wasn't quite indepth enough for me.

As a starting text I would recommend this book for anyone. Given that it's short in length, basic and provides an outline, it will certainly provide you with enough of an insight to decide if you wish to pursue further texts. If you're looking to read this book to further your knowledge, this just isn't the text you're looking for!
33 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This book is one of my very best reads to date.
I could highly recommend it to anyone. A must read for anyone on the Mindful Journey or who needs help becoming free from anxiety or depression or the book is an excellent read for the Professional who works with .....
MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy)

STEVE HAINES COUNSELLOR EFT
on 18 March 2013
I bought this book as I felt I was beginning to fret over unnecessary daily things. The reason this bothered me is that I consider myself a relatively 'aware' person and don't usually experience worries about the future or anxieties concerning where life is heading.

So for me, I wanted a straight forward book to help anchor me once again and this is exactly what the doctor ordered. I like how Oli Doyle writes, it's nice, fluid and not 'preachy' in any way.

A lovely book that reminded me to keep life simple and not allow the mind to run riot. I think this is a great book for beginners interested in mindfulness or for those, like me, just needed a little nudge to remember where the land lies.

I definitely recommend this book and worst case - you're 77 pence lighter.
on 30 April 2013
Very easy to understand but also has depth in the explanation of mindfulness. The exercises are simple to follow. Suitable for complete beginners and more experienced meditators. The author writes from his own experience of using mindfulness and from teaching others.