- Amazon Student members get an extra 10% off this product Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Mindful Counselling & Psychotherapy Paperback – 31 Oct 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'This is the book on Mindfulness and Individual Therapy that I have been waiting to read. Written from the heart as a mindfulness practitioner and therapist, the author captures the flavour of mindfulness, weaving together the concepts and practices of mindfulness into an integration with different therapeutic approaches. Easily accessible with supporting case examples, this is a book for the novice and experienced mindful therapist'
- Jody Mardula, UKCP
Registered Psychotherapist, Mindfulness Teacher for Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice, Bangor University
'At a time when the expansion of diagnostic categories risks pathologising people who suffer with mental health issues, Meg Barker has written a humane book which stays true to the roots of mindful practice and draws out its deep and powerful implications for healing.
As mindfulness becomes mainstream in health care, there is a risk that it becomes an uncritical orthodoxy. Meg Barker offers an original perspective on mindfulness in a variety of therapeutic contexts. This book should be required reading for all professional practitioners interested in mindfulness'
- Dr. Steven Stanley,
'Playful, clear, reflexive and grounded in day to day realities, Meg's book is something special - a thoroughly pluralistic book that challenges any notion that there is one right way to bring mindfulness into our professional, or personal lives' -
Associate Professor in Clinical Psychology, Plymouth University
'Sensitive and compassionate. In this highly accessible book, Meg Barker brings a contemporary, updated and wide overview of the integration of mindfulness within a range of therapeutic modalities in addressing issues clients present within therapy. A very valuable and excellent resource for a wide readership'
- Jyoti Nanda CPsychol AFBPsS is a practising Chartered Psychologist and Existential Psychotherapist (registered with HCPC, BPS, UKCP and BACP Senior Accred).
She is Visiting Lecturer at Regent's College SPCP, London and author of several peer reviewed papers and book chapters in the area of Mindfulness and Existential Therapy.
I heartily recommend it to anyone wishing to include mindfulness in their life and practice. (Els van Ooijen)
I highly recommend this book. It's well argued but balanced, and also acknowledges potentially problematic aspects of mindfulness within counselling and therapy. (Roslyn Byfield - Psychodynamic Counsellor)
About the Author
Meg-John Barker is a senior lecturer in psychology at the Open University and a UKCP accredited psychotherapist. Meg-John has published many academic books and papers on topics including mindfulness, relationships, sexuality and gender, as well as co-editing the journal Psychology & Sexuality. They chaired production of the main counselling course at the Open University and co-edited the accompanying textbook Understanding Counselling and Psychotherapy, as well as writing further books on Mindful Counselling and Psychotherapy, and on Sexuality and Gender for Mental Health Professionals. Their main focus is on writing for the general public, drawing on academic and psychotherapeutic theories and research. They published the mindfulness-influenced self-help relationship book Rewriting the Rules in 2013, and 2016 saw the publication of The Secrets of Enduring Love (with Jacqui Gabb), a comic introduction to queer (with Julia Scheele), and a practical guide to sex (with Justin Hancock). Meg-John also informs UK policy and practice around sexuality and gender, and they are involved in running many public events including Critical Sexology. They blog about all these topics on www.megjohnbarker.com. Twitter: @megjohnbarker.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Counselling
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z