Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2017
As described
on 10 May 1999
I actually agree with the May 2 review...to a point. I found the book engaging but not very "practical." However, everything about Dr. Sarno's approach is already here, even if it is better developed in his later books.
Now, to the point. Dr. Sarno places a lot of emphasis on "knowledge therapy," and in the last seven weeks I've learned what he meant. I had a lamenectomy 25 years ago, but suffered from back pain for 27 years nonetheless. I read this book seven weeks ago, and used it as "knowledge therapy" I discovered later. Three nights ago, I awoke in the middle of the night lying flat on my back, something I could not do for 27 YEARS without excruciating problems later. I rolled to my side, got out of bed...with no pain...no reaction. And no problems since! I'm awestruck!
Buy this book or a later Sarno book, but buy his therapy! For God's sake, don't do surgery or any other radical approach, until you've checked him out! It's incredible!
on 13 April 1999
I don't usually find any wish to comment publically on books or films etc. But I think when something affects your life so much, you want to express it! I have had increasing back pain for three years. A year ago it spread into my arms, wrists and hands. My doctor called this 'Repetitive Stress Injury' (RSI) and possible 'Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'. As I am a computer operator, this was devistating news. I was offered a promotion then the offer was withdrawn because of my problem. In desperation I tried Physiotherapy, Reiki healing, massage, anti-infammatory drugs, constant exercises, splints on my arm, sleeping on the floor. I am 28 and it was ruining my life and making me depressed. Then I read Sarno's book. Within 2 days my back pain had virtually gone, and within a couple of weeks my arm pain was almost completely gone, and I have since had less and less pain. I still work on a computer 80% of the time with no pain. The Doctor told me to only do an hour a day. I want to thank Dr Sarno. His clear, easily accessible, easy to understand style of writing has cured me! It does seem unbelievable before you read the book that simply reading can cure so much pain, but it really does work! I almost can't believe it myself!!
If you suffer, I urge you to give this book a try.
Sam
on 12 September 2002
After herniating a disc (confirmed on an MRI), I spent some six months in agony, consulting specialist after specialist. I saw everyone from the most expensive Orthopedic Surgeons to Chiropractors, Kinesologists, Physiotherpists...you name it...they all told me to "be careful", and each gave me widely differing reasons why my back pain was not getting better, and how I could solve it. Nothing helped. Then I bought this book. It is very simple and pointed out that it was the fear of reinjury that was preventing me from getting better. This fear kept me from exercise and movement, which was the only blood-circulation inducing method for allowing the body to heal itself. At first I didn't buy it, but then decided to follow his advice anyway, basically challenging my fears of reinjury, and starting to excercise again. And now, wonders of the world behold, I am 95% back to my old self. My disc will always be vulnerable to future injury, however, I am now back to doing everything I used to love, rollerblading, running, everything. Forget about all those so-called sports that are bad for your back....it is all in your mind and the ridiculous advice of so-called professionals. I even go rowing and windsurfing now, both of which involve lots of leaning forward and pulling.
After reading the book, it took about 2 months for me to break through most of my mental barriers, and then the pain all but dissapeared. Each time I felt a reoccurence, I reminded myself this was being caused by stress and fear, and no longer allowed this fear to dominate my life. Fear causes stress and stress causes muscle tension. When your back muscles are tense, it doesn not allow blood to get near the spinal area, the only way for the body to heal itself. Try this approach. It works. I even went mountain climbing and white water rafting recently. Don't believe those so-called experts who council nonsense about proper postures and so called exercises, I was only 26, yet moved about with the stiffness of a 60 year old. Not only that, but my life was like that of a sixty year old, afraid to do anything, afraid to even have sex (which wasn'tr exactly helping my relationship)....the only way to go back to a normal life is to start doing sports again, ofcourse start slowly because otherwise the shock can once again set off a fear-induced spasm...but as you do more and more exercise and nothing bad happens, you will start to see that this Doctor is right. Good luck from someone who used to pop muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories like they were smarties...
on 25 March 1999
I had been suffering from back pain for over a year. I had been to five doctors including an orthepedic surgeon and a D.O. specializing in manipulation. I read the book one evening and was 90% pain free the next day. Everyone who has back pain should read this book.
on 23 May 2013
Am 45 year old man and had suffered chronic back pain for around 2 years. Like alot of people I tried everything from painkillers to chiropractors. Did the ice treatment and the heat but nothing appeared to work. After reading Dr Sarnos book and applying his techniques in his book I gradually was set free from back pain! There will be the sceptics of course but inner unconscious tension, repressed anger and a host of other negative emotions really do impact on your physical health causing pain as a distraction...in my case back pain. Please give this book a try, it will literally change your life and I mean that sincerely.
on 22 December 1998
I tried EVERYTHING. Orthopedic surgeons, chiropractors, physical therapy, back pain clinics etc and none of them could tell me why I had back pain. This book answered all of my questions and I haven't had back pain since 1990!
on 4 October 2016
A very interesting book, which basically proposes that a lot of back pain is "in the head" and can be overcome (it's a bit more complicated than this, but that's a general summary).

I very much liked the idea of the book, and I have no doubt that when I am not in a good frame of mind, I suffer more with my back pain than when I am doing something I love. That said, this book does not really teach you how to get over that, and basically just suggests you get back to normal activities. Easier said than done.

To summarise, I love the idea behind the book, but in practice it hasn't helped with my back pain a dot. Maybe other readers will be luckier than I was?
on 4 June 2010
Having read glowing reports of this book, I was expecting more of a "how to" book. I still couldn't work out what self help approach I could apply for my back pain. Otherwise, very interesting and informative.
on 3 May 1999
This may hav been an early book by Dr. Sarno; if you're looking for relief from back pain,DON'T BUY THIS BOOK--read one of his later books. Both I and a friend, both back pain sufferers, had the same reaction to "Mind Over Back-Pain": What a frustrating book! No answers! The print is tiny and rather light to the eye. More important, Dr. Sarno gives his theory about back (and other) pain as caused by Tension but gives very little idea of how he helps his patients overcome back pain. All in all, I WOULD SUGGEST THAT DR.SARNO REMOVE THIS BOOK FROM THE PUBLICATON LISTS, in favor of his more recent and allegedly more helpful, complete books. THIS BOOK IS DISAPPOINTNG AND A WASTE OF TIME TO SOMEONE SEEKING BACK PAIN RELIEF!