on 30 November 2017
I purchased this book as my daughter is having difficulty at school. The book has had a positive effect on both myself and my daughter. I thank the author and the other contributors for supplying some very good advice.
on 11 November 2017
I bought three copies since reading, one for each of my children ... practical, clear, makes sense. Now we need the clinical trials
on 28 July 2017
this is a brilliant book with a misleading title. I have read quite a lot of psychology. This is by far the best book that I have come across that explains the principles of studying effectively. The principles of studying effectively are well explained, and references are given to supporting evidence.

I particularly like the structured approach that the author adopts to explaining how to study effectively. It is not just a mindless action list.

There is no maths in the book, and it has nothing to do with numbers. The study techniques described apply to all subjects.

Highly recommended.
on 19 June 2017
Not just for maths but for anyone who wants to hone their study habits or indeed improve their retention and understanding, this book is it. Barbara Oakley begins with why so many of us struggle with maths as it's so abstract the higher the level gets. She explains clearly what to do to get the learning, theories to not only stick but how to have the whole thing become second nature. I wish I'd had such a book when I was a student many years ago and I've found this to have even changed how I approach new learning and information even now. All pupils or students should have this book and follow the advice within.
on 12 October 2017
An absolutely fantastic book that has completely changed my outlook on Mathematical and Scientific academic ability.

Before studying at undergraduate level, I failed A-Level Mathematics due to having poor support in my Post-16 studies. The E's and U's that I earned then still haunt me to do this day and serve as a reminder that not having an understanding of how the brain works and the best methods to learn the material will crucify you when you need to recall the material the most.

5 Years later and I'm working towards an Integrated Masters in Engineering. To this day I use the methods recommended in this book daily - Active Recall - Bottom Up/Top Down Learning - Repetition - Space Learning - Interleaving - Mnemonics - Reflection on material - 3R's.

If you struggled with a subject at Secondary School level and feel that "you aren't just cut out for math/science" then please buy this book. If you are currently at Secondary School and feel the same way, then please buy this book. You won't regret it.
on 8 November 2017
This book is complimentary to the Coursera online course, providing both the science behind and practical examples of how to gain a mind for numbers. Admittedly, I was a little sceptical initially, but did the online course for free and then bought the book and found that it did really help by providing clear practical knowledge and tips on how to apply the lessons in your own academic pursuits.

One of the things that i really like is that there is flexibility in the application, as opposed to a "do it this way" approach. It gives you a toolbox of methods and you can pick the methods that work best for you and how you learn, by inspiring the reader to creatively find the method that works for them.
on 19 February 2015
This book made me cry - with joy!! Brought to mind years of difficulties and frustration while studying. Only now Barbara Oakley shows you where you were going wrong and how you can be so much better with the help of new brain research over the past 15 years.I am going to make this book compulsory reading for my two children. Best of all it has encouraged me to start learning new things - it's never too late.
I would also recommend Benedict Carey's How We Learn. This is excellent as it tells the stories of the research which led to the techniques which Professor Oakley applies in her book.
on 11 October 2017
could say a life changing..well... not so much.. but it has a lots of interest things taht if you could follow.. for sure will help you a lot with the way you study .

dont be scared by the title... its not for mathematicians only... this book is applicable for any topic.. and for life
thanks a lot!
on 24 January 2015
A very interesting read. Slightly misleading title, in my opinion, as there is no mathematical thinking involved - rather its about understanding the learning process itself and neuroscience research behind it - for which wasn't my motivation behind buying the book. I then discovered that there is a free 4-week Coursera course called "Learning how to Learn" which I suppose is based on this book and is presented by the author herself.

In truth I found the book and the subsequent online course utterly fascinating, albeit nothing really to do directly with mathematical or scientific ideas which is what I had originally sought.

So, this is a book about understanding how you learn, how you can best facilitate your brain's capacity to learn, how it can be equipped to deal with the more abstract and technical ideas that form maths and science, but in truth this book helps in all general aspects of learning and study.
on 30 September 2017
It's great and helpful! Very easy to read. Lots of useful tips, even for people who have a lot of experience trying out different mnemotechics and learning hacks. It's short and packed with all the information you need. No pointless blabbing. Very interesting real life examples. Very well written.