Customer reviews

Midnight Express
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.45

on 21 August 2017
If you have only seen the film, you need to read the book, the ending is different and one can only assume the film ran out of budget to take the poetic licence that it did with the ending. That's not to dis the film in any way it stands on its own merits. The ending of the book seemed a bit rushed, lots of plot but not much detail, maybe I just read it too quick, but I finished it wanting to know more. Glad I read it and now know the whole story.
on 1 September 2016
I had forgotten I's ordered it, having ordered loads of books. Came as a nice surprise. What an easy read. Couldn't put it down. Would recommend to others
on 12 November 2017
riveting account
on 18 August 2017
A great book. A real page turner. Gives you an insight into 1970's Turkish society and prison life.
on 8 November 2017
Excellent book...and film too...
on 16 October 2016
Great book, well written, felt like the reader was there, highly recommended book to read. I would read it again
on 19 April 2017
Fantastic, exactly what I expected too! Prompt delivery as well, would definitely recommend 😊
on 23 February 2016
Has the reader living Billy's scary adventure (no wonder Turkey weren't impressed by the book as a guide to attract tourists). Will have you hyperventilating in parts with the various challenges he comes up against in a foreign land. Don't mess with Turkey.
on 3 August 2016
After watching the film adaptation a few times and discovering there was an original book version of Billy Hayes' story, I had to read his account. If you haven't watched the film first, I would recommend doing so prior to reading the book. Since the book offers a more accurate and detailed account of the events it remains interesting, the added depth provided by the authors first person perspective provides this 5 star read the edge even over a 5 star film. Gripping from the outset, I couldn't help but google "Billy Hayes" as soon as I finished, in order to see where he is now. I can only speak for my own experience, but this book connects the reader deeply to a world and emotions which are otherwise alien.
on 14 January 2010
By chance a friend mentioned this book whilst we were talking about the film Midnight Run (excellent film) - out of that confusion he mentioned he read and saw Midnight Express. I went on amazon, had a quick read and bought it, got the book on Monday, finished on Wednesday night...

The guy writes very well, he manages to describe the setting, the atmosphere and the people he interacts with. I get the feeling he is saying he should be punished for trying to smuggle drugs but to get Life seems way over the top. The book is not as gruesome as some other people suggest, its the possiblity of violence that has that edge. The chapters about the mental hospital are quite sad and sad indictment of how people that illness were/are treated.

My advice is buy it, you wont regret it as the author is pretty humble and is not full of himself!!