on 14 November 2011
Upgraded to this from XP in summer 2011.... over all it feels like XP but is a bit faster and slicker, its designed for multi core processors and works extremely well.....

It works with all my hardware designed for Windows XP, but you may need to get relavent Windows 7 drivers from the hardware manufacturers websites to use these with Windows 7.

This version of Windows 7 has XP mode (which you need to down load from Microsofts website) and is basically an emulator running on Windows 7.

Although XP mode can run XP software, it can't see and use more than 2 cores on a multi core processor so isn't as fast as original XP which can see and use as many cores as the processor has.... that is very annoying as Microsoft never told any one this..... if you want ultimate speed on XP, set your PC for dual boot so you can use either on boot up.

From my experience I can use around 90% of the software designed to run in Windows NT, 2000 and XP directly on Windows 7 without the need for XP mode.

If you have a multicore processor install 64 bit version as its faster than 32 bit version and it can run 32 bit software.

Windows 7 Professional is the only version which will be supported until Jan 2019, all the other versions of Windows 7 will stop getting support from microsoft in 2014..... if you want to use your OS for a long time get this version as it has all the features of others (except Ultimate) and it will be around for along time.

Its a huge pity you can't get/use Norton Partition manager on this as the one Windows 7 has isn't that good, Norton Ghost up to version 12 will not work with Windows 7, Earlier versions of PC Anywhere will not work with Windows 7 so beware of it when upgrading.

Overall I like Windows 7 Professional and would recommend it.

Main downside the cost..... With Linux being free and almost as good as Micrsoft should have made Windows 7 Pro cheaper for around £30-£50 then more people would upgrade to it.
on 3 May 2017
In an engineering environment, the various software applications we work with are not updated at the same pace as the operating systems we would want to use. Hence I'm still using Windows 7 on most my machines. Great package, rarely lets me down.
on 29 September 2017
Genuine copy and it works flawlessly.
on 15 July 2009
wrote something in the home premium section..
just pre-ordered this for the RDP support, lacking in Home premium..
so far with the RC...very nice and stable
on 30 August 2009
First off let me explain something, as a fulltime student studying a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, my University pays for a service from Microsoft which allows us to have access to new software before anyone else.

I am currently using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit, full version. This is the final retail version as it will be shipped and to date I have had no major issues with the software whatsoever.

The Operating System runs smoothly, looks a lot cleaner and clearer than previous versions of Windows that I have used. I tried Vista but found it too unstable for my liking. I have performed a clean install on my Laptop and I am very pleased with the hardware support it provides.

My Laptop has 2gb RAM, 256mb nVidia GeForce Go 7400 and 1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. The feature of Windows 7 that stands out the most to me is the excellent multiple monitor support. Firstly my graphics card is non standard and requires Windows Update recommended drivers which are not Official drivers from nVidia but work perfectly. When I had originally tried Windows Vista I had no dual screen support and due to driver issues I was frequently presented with Blue Screens, as for Windows 7 to date I have been using it for over a week now and it hasn't failed yet.

My Graphics card was the only peice of hardware that required a driver download the rest including a 15 in 1 Card reader, Connexant HD Audio, Gigabit Ethernet NIC, Intel PROSet Wireless all worked perfectly on first boot.

In terms of software compatibility I have come across no errors or issues yet, I run Office 2007 for office stuff, Windows Live Messenger for chat, Firefox 3.5 for the internet [Internet Explorer is present I choose not to use it and it seems to be fine with that decision] I also use a number of development environments including Visual Studio 2008 Professional and Macromedia Flash 8 Professional - all software runs fine, however flash studio temporarily disables Aero while open but re-enables it once closed]

In conclusion, although I got my copy free I am only licensed to install it on one PC which I have done, however I am planning on buying a new PC in a few months time and if it does not come with Windows 7 preinstalled I will buy it off the shelf as I am entirely satisfied in saying this product is worth every penny.
33 Comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2010
I was so impressed with the Release Candidate version of the s/w that I completely forgot that it was time limited. When the first "nag-mail" arrived I didn't have to think too hard about purchasing the full product.

The 64 bit option installed on a four and a half year old laptop (HP Pavilion zd8000 series) without hitch - well, not quite, I discovered that the lappy's audio chipset didn't yet have a W7 compatible driver and I had to start the install again with the 32 bit version. So far, with the 32 bit version, all has been well. All legacy applications seem to work, including some pretty ancient DOS based ones.

I was using XP Pro before this - I avoided the Vista trap, thank goodness - and the transition between the operating systems was easy.

I've been an IT user/configurer/builder since the late 1970's and this change of OS was just the next one in a long line. No regrets, ho hassle. It just works.

All I need to do now is pluck up the courage to free up some disk space by deleting the back-up Windows.old directory.

I really like the interface, although the tranparency of the window title bars is a bit of a trap at times when trying to select one of the many that I might have open on the desktop. I like the ability to hover over the taskbar icons to see what's there and access the one sub-window of an application I need, almost straight away. It is very useful when working between several docs or spreadsheets.

One of the better releases that MS have made over the past couple of decades.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 March 2010
I have been using windows since the very first incarnation and until this was released still preferred windows xp. Vista was a hog.

The trouble with xp is that it is now starting to look old, and very tired! I felt that due to its age it no longer handled things such as connecting external devices etc as nicely as an operating system should, especially given the plethora of devices available today.

Windows 7 has from the start been more or less a pleasure to use. Installation is faster and more automated than xp, which was a major annoyance for me with xp. Once installed it updates smoothly and has been runing things nicely ever since. The included apps and support are very good, I particularly like the snipping tool for taking 'shots' of whatever is on screen. Drivers for all bits of hardware installed automatically without a problem, though I did install new graphics drivers to ahve the latest!

One major point for me also was compatability. Unlike when Vista was released there were huge issues surrounding software and drivers not working or being available, Microsoft have addressed this through a lengthy beta programme which has clearly paid off. And for me, only the very oddest of random programmes are not supported and this can be gotten round by using the vista version due to the shared heritage.

I have both the pro and premium versions and I would say that for the most part premium is all you will ever need. Comes with 2 discs, the 32.64 bit versions. I am currently using the 64 bit as things these days are moving to systems with higher than 4 gb ram etc. I also think there is a trend/push towards the 64 bit now.

Also another good feature for pro over home edition is the ability to backup to a network location built in. Though software such as macrium reflect can offer that for free so not a deal breaker.

Overall a fantastic system which looks very nice on the eye! Comment | Permalink
on 2 September 2010
Microsoft guys outdid themselves on this OS. Fast, stable, very good compatibility, "really real" P'n'P with almost any peripheral. It's as I said in the title, "almost perfect".

Why "almost"? because of the way it handles winsxs folder. it's there to ensure the compatibility and does a good job, but isn't cleaned optimally, si, onstead of using the space necessary for the things you need only, it inflates and inflates... mine is above 8GB right now, and used on an SSD of 30GB, that's a lot of (wasted?) space. As a result, while it was a dream to use during the first 8-9 months, by now I struggle to keep a couple of GB free to let the OS running smoothly. basically, you have to have at least 60GB on primary partition to have enough space for the OS and a few programs to stay comfortable. that's why I didn't give it 5 stars. the disk space that "shrinks" even if you don't install anything new and clean temporary files on a regular basis...

If microsoft manages to cure that "little problem", maybe in a future SP1, it will merit 5 stars without question :)
on 6 May 2011
Item dispatched from FESALESUK Amazon shop.
Product was late arriving and seller had to be contacted.

Wasnt installed immediately when it finally arrived as awaiting suitable opportunity in time.

Installation etc ok but message concerning illegal software started appearing.
Contact with MS has resulted in us having to pay again for product directly from them at this time.

Seller has not responded to 2 email requests regarding the product.

Buyer beware! FESALESUK are, in our experience, passing along illegal software.
33 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 June 2011
I really like Windows XP, and the Vista fiasco made me reluctant to upgrade to Windows 7, even though it was running very sucessfully on my wife's computer. However, after a few years of heavy use, my XP system was grinding to a halt, so I eventually had to bite the bullet.
When I bought the system, 64 bit software was a bit 'flakey' do I stuck with 32 bit, even though it didn't address the full 8Gb of installed memory. So, I went from Windows XP 32 bit, to Windows 7 64 bit, in one move.
Carefull backup of data and settings to an external drive is essential, and you must also be sure you have the installation disks and product keys for your applications. The supplied software on the Windows 7 upgrade site is very useful. Be aware, however, that the backup can take a long time, it ran for over eight hours in my case.
The upgrade went surprisingly well; what a great move, it was like adding a turbocharger to my PC. I keep clicking the mouse and waiting for the next page to load only to find it has already loaded so quickly that the monitor didn't even flicker.
With many of my applications also now running in 64 bit mode, it's like having a new computer at very little cost.