Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 7 November 2011
I used the Microsoft Networking Essentials book way back in about 1996 to learn about networking and study for my first MCSE back in the NT 3.51 days. I was after a book to refresh my memory on alot of the concepts and get up to date with all the technology advances and updates that have occurred since then. And lo and behold an updated version of the trusty old Networking Essentials book appears! I found the book really useful to remind myself of forgotten concepts and standards but there are pro's and cons to it...
Pros: Easy to read and understand, it covers a wide range of topics pretty well and I found it waslayed out in a visually attractive manner. It explains lots of stuff that I kind've understood but had never had fully spelt out to me before.
Con's: At 300 pages and covering as much ground as it does its not the most in-depth book you'll find on any of the topics it covers. Then again it's called "Networking Essentials" for a reason.

In summary if you are new to networking or like me are a bit rusty and want to remind yourself of some long forgotten concepts and update you're knowledge this book is well worth a look. If you already know networking quite well and are after an in-depth networking bible this is not the book for you.
on 9 February 2014
Most people wanting to buy this book, will want to know one thing. "Will it help me pass the 98-366 exam?" Well, I sat the exam about 10 days after buying this book and passed it easily.
TBH the test is FAR,FAR,FAR easier than the questions and content in the book, which I guess is a good thing.
ONE REALLY BAD POINT though, the chapter on ipv4 addresses has literally DOZENS of fundamental mistakes... in both the exercises and in the explanations. I was pretty confused until I realised that it was the book, not me that wasn't understanding the concepts...
Thats a huge negative for the book, but if you want a book to study up for the 98-366 then it'll do the job.
on 13 January 2015
Some typing errors but a very good purchase
on 26 August 2015
it is the right source for me
on 26 January 2016
Excellent
on 20 December 2015
on 14 October 2011
Maybe I am doing the author a disservice, but I just couldn't get anything from this item that isn't better presented in many other similar publications.

Sorry, it just didn't do it for me.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse