VINE VOICEon 11 April 2008
I bought this copy of Windows XP from Amazon to install on an new intel-based Mac running Leopard. Purchasing an OEM copy was the cheapest way I could find to set up a genuine copy of Windows. I was a bit concerned about whether the process would work for an individual user, but I was reassured by the previous reviews.

Installation was easy. The product key worked fine. I installed it using on the Mac using boot camp partition and use VM fusion to open it. Following installation Windows wanted activation and I left this for a few days while I sorted some other issues out.

When I came to activate Windows I tried to do it by the internet, but I got a message saying that my product key had expired with no hint how to proceed. So I phoned up Microsoft support and they said I had to register as an OEM partner. Looked into this option briefly and decided that it was for computer manufacturers.

After an internet search I found an article which said that Microsoft had suspended internet activation because of fraud. There is freephone number to ring in the activation window. The activation process gives you nine 6-digit numbers to key in. Once you have done this you get seven 6-digit numbers to enter to complete the activation process.

So this OEM version works, but be aware that you need to activate by phone.
55 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2008
Buy it while you still can, or pay for major hardware upgrades in order to run Windows Vista (arguably the least successful Windows since the woeful Millennium Edition).

XP is generally very stable and will run OK with 128MB of RAM in an older computer, but it likes as much memory as possible. Microsoft have made it quite hard to avoid paying for their software these days, with the interestingly-named "Windows Genuine Advantage" nagware, so if you want full access to updates, £50 to go legit doesn't seem too bad.
on 1 July 2008
I bought the OEM disc to use on my Intel Mac also. The disc worked perfectly with no problems. I simply registered the product online with none of the problems the previous poster mentioned. If you simply want to install on Bootcamp, this product is highly recommended. You can also install it a second time on Parallels as it is the same computer.
on 12 June 2007
This is an OEM version, which I bough to use with Parallels on my iMac. I had a disc crash and had to reinstall all software again. When it came to validating XP I was told that this is a single install OEM version and I should contact my PC manufacturer! There was nobody in Microsoft I could talk to and in the end had to buy another 'so called' Genuine Advantage kit for nearly £70!
11 Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2014
I am still using this on an elderly Mac Mini (OS X 10.6) with Boot Camp; another copy is running on a new MacBook Pro via Parallels 8 on OS X 10.9. Why would you want any other legacy version of Windows? It's stable; as long as you run an anti-virus program and a firewall, it should be secure for a while longer. Many of the specialist applications we're using won't work reliably on Vista and above. As for the horrible interface of Windows 8.1......
on 19 October 2011
INstalled Xp on my desktop PC to replace win98 with no trouble unlike the later version Windows7 which I installed on my Vista laptop that hasn't worked properly since.

I recommend this disk
on 26 June 2013
the reason i bought this one was the other win xp did not have ntrldr ,
this also came with win book.

john lowe
on 8 May 2009
Still the best operating system for home use leaves VISTA in the shade Roll on Windows 7 with hope it solves the vista myth
on 22 November 2009
What could I add? Usual great shipping from amazon. I like XP. Rarely crashes. Not a lot of eyewash.
on 1 August 2006
So, it's here at last. Microsoft's much-hyped new version of Windows is available to new and existing PC owners and claims all kinds of improvements over its antecedents. Windows XP isn't the latest in the Windows 95/98/ME line. Nor is it a continuation of Windows NT and 2000. Although it's based on NT technology, as 2000 was, it's an amalgam of both types of Windows and has one common code base. It may be available in Home and Professional (business) versions, but it is basically one product. XP Pro is a super-set of XP Home. We've reviewed the latter here.

This has been Microsoft's strategy for several years and is intended to make it easier to maintain and to keep new releases of home and business products in line for the future. Making use of NT code, designed for the more rigorous business and networked environment, should benefit everybody, as the new version is claimed to be more robust than any previous incarnation.

Windows XP looks different from previous versions, with a much cleaner appearance to the desktop. Apart from the Start button, there's little extra to confuse the newcomer. Click on Start, though, and the two-column menu that pops up is re-ordered and points the way to other changes in the operating system.

The colour scheme suggests a bigger, brighter approach to PCs and this idea is strengthened by the bold icons and the way it's harder to get at the nuts and bolts. You're encouraged to stay on the yellow brick road of applications and their documents, rather than delving into backwoods on your own.

The operating system, which supports both FAT32 and NTFS filing systems, offers a lot of fun extras, too. A new Wizard for printing that arranges photos to make the best use of expensive photo paper and a video editing applet which, while not Adobe Premier, provides the basics for cutting and pasting digital video, are just two highlights.

Others include easier home networking and the ability to allow a service technician to temporarily take over your PC to provide technical support. This isn't quite as worrying as it might sound, as you can specify how long that person can have access.

Much has been made about product activation, the need to contact Microsoft over the Net or by phone to receive a code to activate your copy of Windows XP. While it may be an irritation, more so if you make frequent changes to your PC, it's hard to deny Microsoft the right to stop people buying one copy of Windows and passing it round to all their friends - it happens.

You'll need quite a substantial PC to run Windows XP. The minimum recommended is a 300MHz Pentium with 64MB memory and 1.5GB of hard drive space. Double all those figures to be comfortable.

From our experience, the pre-installed version is likely to be more popular than the upgrade pack. We installed Windows XP on a Sony Vaio notebook as an upgrade. The resultant report of software that had to be removed or reinstalled (including Microsoft's own Outlook 2000) ran to four pages of A4. So it's probably best to let the PC builders install it from scratch.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse