on 16 August 2012
I have used green guides for 25 years and they have steadily got worse. This is the last one I'll buy. It simply doesn't contain the detail that I was looking for.

To give a flavour of what is so poor about this guide I refer to the section on Siracusa:

"With so many wonderful buildings and outlooks, it is impossible to set an itinerary to include all that might be worth seeing. The descriptions below therefore mention only the most interesting streets, leaving a large section of the historical city without commentary to explore according to inclination".

Eh? I've just shelled out money for this, when I could simply have wandered around with a map from the tourist office. In the past the green guide would have had a go. It can't simply be the lack of space, since we have almost a whole page on "Papyrus and the Origins of Paper".

The arrangement of the text is very poor too with the section labelled "Ortygia" following the description of most of its major sites.

Also some of the judgements are bizarre: the Duomo, a unique building constructed on the site of the Ancient Greek temple of Athene, and using most of its perfect Doric columns, is given 1* while the moderately interesting Orecchio di Dionisio (basically a large old cave with an unusual echo) is awarded 3*.

Green guides now have sections on recommended hotels and restaurants, which elbows out the greater detail that one wants from a guide of this sort. In any case, I've no idea how good these recommendations are. Very few appear in the Red Guide, so I assume Michelin are not too taken with them.

Michelin seem to have lost their way with the most recent editions of the Green Guide and are attempting to compete with much flashier and less scholarly competition. I don't think they can win in this field, except perhaps in France.
on 27 October 2016
I totally agree with the previous reviewer. This is a dreadful guide that we found almost useless. I bought it because it mentioned a couple of towns, Taormina and Scicly, where we were staying and other guides didn't mention so much about them. But dear oh dear, it was practically useless and became apparent that whoever had written it hadn't actually been to the places they were writing about. It was also out of date and sometimes plain wrong. The information on Mount Etna was out of date and the information of Syracuse was incorrect. The Caravaggio is in the church of Santa Lucia alla Badia in the Piazza Duomo, and not in the Palazzo Bellomo as stated in the guide book. Fortunately we came upon the painting by chance so didn't waste time and money visiting the Bellomo. There's little language information, no mention at all of the fictional detective Montalbano and yet huge numbers of visitors go to the South East of Sicily because of the books and the tv series, a whole tourist industry has been built up around this fictional character and yet this Michelin guide doesn't mention him once. I paid £15.99 for this rubbish. Michelin guides were excellent at one time and we always used them, sadly no longer. We found this guide utterly frustrating, it will be the last Michelin guide we buy.
on 30 January 2014
We used this guide and it was good in parts but it was a compromise and we needed a few guide books to cover all the areas. I couldn't help but feel that this book was aimed at someone who wanted to tick Sicily off their list and be able to say they had visited all the main tourist attractions when they were at their dinner party back home. So, okay but nothing to write home about.
on 17 April 2012
Looks good haven't read it yet. Took a while to get here but when it did it was just right.