Customer reviews

on 10 September 2008
Although I already had some knowledge of Dutch, I bought this course as a trial before buying the eight-hour Foundation course, of which this is the first two hours. Its good point is that you learn a lot without painful effort. You don't learn much vocabulary, but the Michel Thomas method is designed to concentrate on teaching structure. My only reservation was that I want to improve my use of the language in Belgium, and the course teaches the Netherlands pronunciation and idioms; you would be ill-advised to go around in Flanders addressing everyone as "je", for example. Apart from that, I was satisfied enough that I've now ordered the Foundation course.
9 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 December 2014
Works well.
on 14 November 2010
An easy way to learn a bit if Dutch. It's easy just to listen and learn,
and if you want to go on to do further learning this is the way to do it.
on 5 November 2009
I'm a fan of Michel Thomas courses in general, having previously very quickly learned the basics for holiday Italian and Spanish. The Dutch course was no different. Within 30 mins you are already saying,and learning how to construct, useful, practical sentences. What I particularly like, is that they teach you the building blocks for the sentence, which means that you can very quickly start making up your own. I also hadn't realised how similar Dutch was to both German and English which makes it even more user friendly for any English speaker to pick up. To give you an idea - I went away for a long w/e speaking no Dutch, came back 4 days later and my Dutch partner couldn't believe that I'd only been squirrelling away in secret for 4 days (and even then, I can't have spent more than 6 hours max listening to it). The only negative thing I could say, and it only a small thing, is that as the students on the CD are real students, learning just as you are, you do get to hear their mistakes aswell, and as one of them takes to it less well than the other, that can be a little frustrating/confusing at times. That's the only drawback I can think of though, and over all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 September 2009
Although I find learning with this simple and effective, some of the language is a bit dated. My partner is dutch and when i told him the stuff i was learning he was really surprised as some of the language is just not used in holland anymore and is really outdated... people will of course know what you mean though, but its may just sound a little odd to them. anyways apart from this, this is a good way to begin learning dutch and more effective than many of the other products i am also trying, so good luck!
2 people found this helpful