Format: DVD|Change

on 31 July 2006
The greatest TV series of the 1980's, great programme, great music, great fashion (in the 1980's it was), just a great programme. I have been waiting for this box set for a good 6 months and was worth the wait. The only down side is that the packaging is a let down when compared to the first series as it is completly different packaging which is put to shame next to the first series packaging and there are no extras. But if you like the series you will love the set.
on 3 September 2007
The release of the MV series DVDs comes at the perfect time to answer the critics with poor memories who are now stupidly hailing the new "Vice" film as "darker and grittier" than the TV series. They forget how dark and gritty---and how timely, potent and groundbreaking---the original series was. The art direction, music, colours, the "cool", were innovative, but mere superficialities. It was the political narrative that was the heart of this series. "Miami Vice" carved open the hypocrisy of America's "war on drugs" like nothing before, or since.

"Prodigal Son" was a stunning standalone two-episode movie with Crockett and Tubbs pursuing Colombian drug lords all the way to New York, and the centre of world finance, and to America's own involvement in the drug economy. This unprecedented epic was possibly the series' zenith.
"Out Where Buses Don't Run" was a poem on obession, bitterly poignant.
"Back in the World" brought back the ghosts of the Vietnam War, and US covert operations.

The influence of Miami Vice can still be felt today. It is no exaggeration to say that it quite literally changed the way television was made. For the first time, a TV show effectively had no budgetary constraints -this was no shoestring affair, but a massive, revolutionary approach, and you could tell (Each episode had a budget of $1million plus; D.Johnson was paid a staggering $60,000 per episode, over twenty years ago!!). It even resonated in the film industry, and it did no harm to Michael Mann's career.

The acting was always good, particularly in these early series, and the leads were fluid, natural and worked well together. The same goes for the rest of the cast, who all knew just what they were about.

Direction was always good -cinematic, but with heavy use of slow-motion, abrupt cuts and dramatic endings that were almost always unpleasant. It made effective use of great songs and the award-winning Jan Hammer scored MV until his departure during season 5.
on 26 October 2006
Great series. I hope the remaining seasons become available soon. Season 2 has some of the most legendary episodes, including "Bushido" (were Edward James Olmos's Lt. Castillo shines), "Phil the Shill" (with Phil Collins), "Definitely Miamy" (with French beauty Arielle Dombasle) and "Bought and paid for" (with portuguese Joaquim de Almeida as the vilain). Not to mention some of the best 80's soundtrack and tunes.

Definitely a good buy.
on 22 May 2013
Great buy but I didn't read the region for the DVD......( why anybody would sell an American import to the UK I do not know).....for which I accept as my fault so unless I change my DVD player I cannot watch these DVDs
on 18 March 2015
I was a big fan of Miami Vice in the mid eighties, so I bought series 2 thinking I would still like it and it would be worth re-visiting.Well, it still looks and sounds great but the writing is terrible, very clichéd, it's all about the Don Johnson character and some how they always got the villain one way or another. I'm sure the real criminals were a lot smarter than some of the writing on the show. Sadly it's one of those you remember fondly but sadly you remember it better than it was.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2013
I ordered this product thinking that I got a bargin because of the difference in price but infortunately there was a reason. The DVD did not hvae the option to play in English. After contacting Amazon and the distributor, I was able to get a full refund, eventhough I had gone over the 14 day returns policy, which I do apprieciate. Ordered another copy from a diffrenct seller and can now give this as a present to my mum. Although I was very disappointed i everything was sorted out in the end thanks Amazon
on 14 February 2013
Bought the second season for my partner as he got first one for Xmas I like the first one better as this one a bit confusing and the acting is a bit wooden still a good program if you are a avid mami vice fan
on 8 January 2011
Great series, I enjoy it, nice to watch and see the sun shining. Often put it on when there's nothing on the TV which is quite often. Arrived in mint condition in a nice box.
on 30 December 2014
Seems a bit dated now, but brought back happy memories and we enjoyed watching the series again.
on 19 May 2015
A bit dated - but I expected as much.