Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 January 2010
I've enjoyed many of the Special Interest books and found them all very good value, and this one is no exception. I wasn't expecting it to be enjoyable to read as I don't think I've ever found a data book that can be read at all, but actually there are several useful and interesting descriptions & explanations throughout the book. It ranges from a pretty comprehensive list of screwcutting tables, including options of non-standard changewheel combinations that could be helpful for someone missing a gear or two, to the usual tapping tables and thread forms, to V-belts, the best explanation of welding symbols I've found to date, concise descriptions of turning tool inserts and of steel specs, to various electrical bits and even of prime numbers that I've never felt I needed!

All in all a compact reference to a bunch of stuff, easier to use than the bigger reference books but still containing a lot of what I need.

Recommended.
on 4 May 2009
The Metalworker's Data Book is a must have for any model engineer or those interested in general metalwork.

The Author has done a tremendous job and represents excellent value when compared to "Professional Engineering Reference Books"
on 8 November 2009
Hi, This book is not only a handy pocket sized reference book for any metalworker like myself, but also has well written data and good clear diagrams. it also has a very good glossary at the back, that i am sure will help those that are starting out on the road of metalworking. Overall this book is a great little buy and i for one am glad to add it to my collection....Thanks a million. Alan
on 25 October 2012
A good little reference book full of data for engineers. I'm sure that some of the data would also come in around the house. There are volume and area calculations, converstion charts, imperial to metric and many other charts and tables.
on 5 March 2016
The order for Metalworkers Data Book, is good and worth the money, and as usual Amazon were very good on the ordering and details of the order,
And looking after the payment,
M G B Ennis
on 4 March 2015
Full of relevant information and data sheets for the budding metalworker. Also older data about details which may arise occasionally, as there are many machines still in use today that were manufactured back towards the beginning of last century. A good read.
on 25 April 2010
All the information in one little book. Easy to read & Ideal for Model Engineers. A very good buy & a great addition to my workshop.
on 18 December 2009
Amazing data and value. A must for ALL ENGINEERS. I also use the "Engineers Bible" but rate this product very highly.
on 6 July 2010
THIS IS A BOOK THAT IS LONG OVERDUE. IT HAS TAKEN A LOT OF PATIENCE AND RESEARCH TO COMPLETE A BOOK OF THIS CALIBRE, NOT TO MENTION THE DEDECATION OF IT'S AUTHOR, HAROLD HALL.

THIS BOOK IS PACKED WITH MORE INFORMATION THAN YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE. IT IS DEFINATELY NOT A BEDTIME READ TO GET YOU TO SLEEP, BUT IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL READING FOR THE DISCERNING MODEL ENGINEER, OR INDEED ANY ENGINEER, COME TO THAT.

THERE IS A LOT IN THIS BOOK THAT I WILL NEVER NEED TO KNOW, I THINK, BUT IT IS THERE IF I EVER NEED TO. AN EXCELLENT AND EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGIBLE WORK FROM A VERY FINE ENGINEER.
on 24 September 2010
I bought this book, not for a particular need but because I wanted a reference book on the shelf, handy, should I need data quickly.

I am a little disappointed in the contents. I looked for fundamental information on materials such as coefficients of expansion but such information is missing. In fact there is little basic information about the physical properties of metals and alloys. I expected a lot more about metals such as composition of alloys, and such physical properties as hardness, conductivity and tensile strength. I understand there are too many characteristics and too many materials to try to list everything but there is value in discussing these characteristics, discussing the measurement scales and showing relative values.

There is some very basic information about electric motors and even the colour coding of resistors; not what I expected to find in this book.