on 6 September 2013
I must admit to being a big fan of Dale Ralph Davis and having read his commentaries published by Christian focus this one for IVP doesn't disappoint. Everything you'd expect is here. A very readable narrative, excellent exegesis (or in ordinary language, a good explanation of to what the text is about) and of course much wit and humour. Dale Ralph Davis shows how relevant the book of Daniel is. After all if we as Christians don't find ourselves in a similar situation to Daniel and his friends in exile in the world(fortunately we don't have to face fiery furnaces and lions dens yet in this country) it raises questions as to where we really stand in relationship to our faith! I really can't praise it enough. Having now finished preaching the book there is just one point where I would differ from Davis's, and that would be in chapter 10 where I believe that Daniel witnesses the pre-incarnate Christ rather than an angelic figure. My argument for this would be that the appearance is very similar to that in Revelation chapter 1 were the apostle John witnesses Christ in glory. This I believe proves that the Bible is the best commentary on itself! That said, Davis makes a really good and case for his interpretation then points out difficulties in the text with the interpretation of this being Christ (which I believe are surmountable). But I consider this a secondary issue. I suppose a key thing is, and the highest praise I can give this commentary, is that I always looked forward to my preparation on Daniel but particularly when I had this book in my hand!
on 22 October 2014
Classic Ralph Davis - wonderfully clear, scholarly, well-applied and enjoyable to read. He writes as both a professor of Old Testament and as a pastor. I have much enjoyed all his books, and this is one of the very best. He makes very good sense of the complexities of the later chapters of Daniel. "The Bible Speaks Today" as a series varies in quality, but you won't want your money back with this one. We are using this book quite a bit at our church.
on 7 June 2015
As usual Dale Ralph Davis has produced a very readable commentary which is full of insights and understanding. Within the nature of the series this is an excellent commentary, especially helpful on the last half of the book.
on 6 February 2014
It is a very helpful exposition of Daniel, and a very good update to the previous edition by Ronald Wallace.
on 12 December 2014
Very helpful, clear, and amusing! It made a complicated book accessible for a bible study group leader.
on 4 May 2015
Great summary of various commentaries with the authors own considerations. Very useful if you only have time for one book!
on 2 June 2016
very good and readable text. Helpful for group study and preaching.
on 1 January 2015