on 11 December 2014
This dictionary is first class. It makes clear distinctions such as "boffin -- origin unknown --- chiefly Brit" --- "A large uncleared or sparsely settled area (as in Australia)" and "isolated rural country esp. of Australia". Because it is published in the USA it is not surprising to find occasional entries such as "BSA Boy Scouts of America" -- Birmingham in England having apparently escaped the editor's notice which in otther respects is unexceptionable.

Since I came across an earlier edition of this book many years ago, I have used the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary for my own research in preference to encyclopedias and to complement on-line searching.
on 8 November 2012
I decided to get a little help with my poetry writing and bought this book. I prefer to find my own words however in difficult situations this has come in handy and now I have come to rely on it when I am stuck. Any poet obtaining a book like this needs to be aware that once you start to use it you will continue to do so and may need to use restraint in not letting it dominate as a writing tool, but I am overall happy that I made the purchase.
on 9 March 2012
Excellent dictionary, no detail explanations necessary, I believe.

Only one comment:
The license agreement of the CD is NOT customer-oriented (to avoid the word "avaricious").

I would like to install this helpful dictionary on both, my desktop AND on my laptop, but unfortunately, this is not possible since the license allows only one installation (even if I use only one at a time).

Thus, if Webster-people should read this here: please change the license from one to two devices. Why? e.g. to get the 5th star ... ;-)
on 26 November 2014
bought the dictionary for my landlady who has a son working in the usa.the edition received was advertised as printed in 2014 and was printed earlier,still , it had a number of 1000 words more than earlier printings.

cannot complain. customer
on 26 February 2014
Classic Dictionary for American English - what's not to like. I particularly like the fact that it has British words and spellings of words and their meanings - not all British words 'translate' in quite the way you would expect to American English - so a great guide.
on 5 October 2010
First of all this is an English-American dictionary. If you are looking for UK-English dictionary you should consider other alternatives. This dictionary is extremely well done. It includes loads of example an references. For almost each word there is one or more sentences to explain the use of the word. Similar words to the one searched are also listed. It's great for college students who need to write reports and thesis. Although nowadays you can use many on line dictionaries the paper version of this one is much handier because of the number and the quality of examples.
I'd really suggest you this dictionary if you are writing technical documents.
on 3 March 2016
arrived on time and as described. could not ask for more.
on 28 April 2012
i purchased this pocket dictionary for a trip i was taking to france. it arrived quickly, was the perfect size to fit even into small purses, and it had everything i needed! great product.
on 29 August 2016
:-))
on 12 January 2018
A good reference tool for American English.