Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Size: 9 UK|Colour: Brown (Moth Brown)|Change

on 9 January 2016
First, all previous reviews are right. You have to order half a number at least more than your UK number. The trainers are fantastic. They are warm and comfy and good for waking on mud and puddles, though not 10% waterproof they are alright. They tend to feels loose an the ankle at first but not after a while. Perhaps I got used to it in the end. I love the shoes. One minor issue is that the tone of brown is really brown with no hint of green as I would have expected. The insole avoids pronation of the ankle, which is fantastic for walking, but at the beginning it may feel sore at the bottom of your feet if you walk for hours, but it does not take long to get used to it. As commented before, the sole is slippery when waking for example on wet marble, but it is very good on mud.
on 4 May 2017
I've had Merrell's before & was really looking forward to receiving these as I had fond memories of them.
They are a well-made shoe with great grip BUT...

They are much too small & seems that Merrell have goofed on their sizing expectations. I bought UK 12's, which is a US 13. However, when they arrived while it showed as a UK 12, the US size was just 12.5. US sizes being 1 size bigger for men's shoes, this meant that they are really only a UK 11.5, which is not going to work.

So be prepared for this, I'd suggest ordering a full shoe size bigger here, or better yet, actually go into a store that stocks them & try them on in person before purchasing from the stockist with the best price for you. This is sadly one of the burdens of internet purchasing but it can't be helped.
Luckily they DO have a size 13, so that's been ordered. Will let you know how that works out too.

UPDATE: I sent the 12's back today for a full refund & after ordering the 13's yesterday, they also arrived today on Prime.
The 13's are much, much, MUCH better. So bottom line is, if in doubt, then go a half to a full size bigger than usual, depending on what socks you usually wear & the intended purpose. A+
on 10 October 2016
Wanted to purchase a good outdoor trainer to slot in between my all out walking boot and my everday trainers...
Apprehensively I ordered a whole size larger as other reviewers had suggested and was very surprised to find they fitted in length perfectly.. Personally I prefer my footwear quite snug on width so this wasn't an issue but alarmingly I found myself walking on my instep to such a degree I felt a twisting onto the outside of my foot up to the knee making walking any distance very uncomfortable.. I have since found other complaints to the same effect.
The sole seems very hard as well, not a bad thing you might think if you want a comfortable foot over awkward terrain but the lack of grip is scary to say the least. My idea of buying a "cross trainer" was to rock hop as I do a lot of coastal photography but I have little trust in the level of grip given even on a tiled floor at home never mind on wet rocks!!!!!
Its a shame because overall they look a well made shoe and quite stylish and the fact they don't have dayglo go faster stripes splattered all over them was a big plus but sadly in summary that is the only thing going for them, hence they're being returned!!!
on 30 April 2017
First the size. I am a UK 9.5, or Euro 43.5 wide fit. Based on other reviews I bought the UK 10.5, Euro 45, and it was the right choice. They may be a fraction too long, but this enabled the wide part of the shoe to line up with the wide part of my foot. I was keen on the design and thought I'd order these despite not expecting them to be wide enough. But they're okay, and having had them for a year, the leather has spread nicely making them definitely wide enough.

These are very comfortable and very tough. I often wear them all day, whether in town or going for a walk. They are fine on rugged terrain and way more than just a trainer.

They look the part too. The perforated leather and understated colours go well together, and they age well. They're fine with shorts, jeans, outdoor trousers etc. The only part I don't like is the back, but it's a minor point.
on 3 March 2017
These trainers look good and are clearly well made. Unfortunately they're so tight on your feet that they give you pins and needles (no, I don't have fat feet!).

Looks and quality aside, most importantly, on wet surfaces, they have no grip whatsoever. By this, I mean they are literally like walking on ice. So much so that these are too dangerous to wear outside, I've already fallen down a flight of stone stairs I light drizzle. I still cannot believe there is such a fundamental flaw in pair of trainers made for outdoor pursuits. If you you tread on any smooth surface, tiled floor, stone steps, manhole cover etc. you'll look like drunk bambi on ice.
on 28 October 2016
Very comfy pair of hiking shoes. I would recommend going up half a size though. I'm usually a 12UK but went for a 12.5 and they were perfect.

update: i have worn these four times on average hikes with average condition and they have a huge gash in the rubber - not caused by misuse.
review image review image review image
on 6 June 2017
Merrell shoes are my go to brand. These are the same high quality I was expecting. The problem is that the sizes are just plain wrong. I bought these for a trip to Japan and sadly didn't have time to return them. I thought they would give and become comfortable over time but they didn't. I put up with the pain during my trip but I think I injured a toe in the process. So now I have the problem that they are worn (ie., can't be returned) but are too small for me to practically use. So I'm selling them on eBay.

Next time I'm going to a shop.
on 29 October 2012
I was put off by other reviews saying go for bigger size etc. in the end I took a chance and got a half size bigger. I take a 91/2 and purchased a size 10. Perfect fit. I have a wide foot but these are perfect. So as with other reviews I suggest a half size bigger than your normal size. Very good support from them with a good grip on the bottom. For the price they are a good buy.
on 20 December 2015
Way out on size really. I am a UK 9, i take a 10 in CAT shoes, and i think an 11 would fit me better than the 10.5 in these Merrell trainers. Allso they kinda slip off from the heel region when i walk in them, or feel like they are going to slip off, just not a good fit in the heel region. Not fully decided to keep them as yet. I already returned a 10 as it was very small for me - yet still managed to feel like they would slip off from the heel region???
on 13 October 2015
I don't know what Merrell have done inrecent years, but it seems as if they've altered the design of their shoes in the most annoying way. I am uk10 and these are painfully small in this design. Swapped for 11 and those slipped off the heel: hopeless! I know several people who have had similar experiences; their shoes a few years back were definitely super comfortable, but now they don't make those models (eg Axis 2 etc), so I've had to get a refund.