on 27 February 2015
Brilliant! De_scales items very well!

(Citric acid comes in a thick, resealable clear bag (bought from Intralabs))

Used 50g (kettle half filled - boiling water to dissolve crystals) in heavily limescaled kettle
(tilted kettle to get bits higher up near spout for another hour!)

After it fizzed for 2 hours or so doing its stuff, I transferred liquid to clean out my filter coffee maker. Ran it thru process thrice.

After a good flushing, Coffee taste has improved measurably + items are both cleaned and shiny like new!
10 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2013
I have an unusual use for this product, I run a Snake Sanctuary and the snakes water bowls become lined with limescale after a while, so I put a tablespoon of citric acid into the bowl pour boiling water on top and voila in an hour of so all the limescale is gone.
This will work with any ceramic, metal or pottery bowl with limescale stuck on it.
Being able to buy Citric acid in larger quantities this way is great for us.
31 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 19 September 2015
The wife's high end iron was completely scaled up and refused to steam even though it has a descaling function. After trying white vinegar with limited success, we were on the point of buying another iron. But after reading on the net that citric acid was reasonably benign and an effective method of descaling appliances I thought I would order one kilogram from C.S.I Cleaning Solutions. The citric acid arrived promptly and was well packed.

No at all confident of success, I mixed up a solution of nine to one by volume, deionised water to citric acid, and poured it into the iron. I then switched the iron on, held the steam button down, and rocked the iron backwards and forwards. Pretty soon the iron started steaming again, first from one hole then gradually all the holes. The steam blew out an amazing amount of yellow/dark grey powder and lumps. After around a minute of the iron huffing and puffing the kitchen was full of steam and acrid fumes (you need good ventilation). I kept this up until all holes were emitting steam smoothly and the scale stopped coming out. Then I refilled with deionised water and let that steam through to clear out any residue of citric acid.

Since then the iron has worked perfectly and my wife is very pleased.

My advice is to use deionised water, not tap water like we did, in your iron. Do this even if the manufacture's instructions say not to (what they mean is that it is not necessary to use deionised water) and don't be put off if the instructions say not to use a descaler as ours did, although some other descalers may be too caustic and damage your iron.

I have also now used citric acid for cleaning/removing scale from other items with good results as well.

Seems like this citric acid is good stuff: £5 and 10 minutes work saved us around £80 for a new iron.
3 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: ColoringHALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 October 2017
I have bought this a few times now and it works perfectly well for descaling the kettle. I also use it for cleaning the bird bowls outside as well as they get very dirty.

There are many uses for citric acid from making bath bombs to cleaning out your kettle. This is a quality variety and I am happy with it.

I am not sure why but the last packet I bought had no label on which some people may not be happy with.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2013
I have a Senseo coffee machine which needs de-scaling regularly and I used to buy the Phillips Senseo de-scaler which came in 50gm sachets,4 to a box.They cost approx £7 until someone commented on my review of them that I could buy the citric acid far cheaper this way.
well I have now bought this and there should be enough to last me for longer than the machine I should think.At this price I am still quids in so I happy very happy.
It arrived packed in two clear plastic bags and placed in a white plastic bag for delivery.
12 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2016
This is pretty good stuff.
I've used it on a scaled-up kettle and on some stainless steel pans and it has then shining in minutes.
Good value compared to buying kettle descalers.
I wouldn't want to get it in my mouth, but I suspect that it is a lot less dangerous than caustic soda, hydrocholic acid, etc.
Doesn't take a much to clean a kettle, so economical too.
Will buy again.
One person found this helpful
on 14 April 2016
Having had no success with branded products which were supposed to descale my Aga kettles, I Googled around to try and find the best way to do it, and plain old citric acid seemed to come up trumps every time, so I ordered a kilo of it. And by gum, it works a treat! I put 60g in half a kettleful of water, boiled it for 10 minutes, and every trace of scale disappeared. Don't buy expensive products, many of which will contain nothing but citric acid in any case (but cost many times as much) - this works an absolute treat.
on 5 January 2017
This works great as a mild cleaning agent for my Sage espresso coffee maker. I add 30g of citric acid to 1 litre of water and run it though the machine. After rinsing, there is no taste left behind and residual coffee oils are gone. Apparently, you can use this product to clean all sorts of things. Much cheaper than ridiculously overpriced branded cleaning products.
on 16 December 2015
Does the job really well on the inside of my kettle. I would have give 5 stars but you need quite a lot of it to make it work but when it works it works great. Probably not the seller's fault more that that's just the nature of the product that it requires a generous amount to work (I ignored the instructions on a previous pack from another seller, because it didn't work then when I added twice the amount it worked well). Decent value for money from this seller.
on 16 September 2016
Perfect to use as nontoxic descaler for kettles, distiller etc. Extremely effective, just dissolve a couple of tablespoons full in boiling water and leave to stand. Why would anyone ever buy toxic descaler when this does the job just as thoroughly without poison!!?? Oh and I assume it's vitamin C as well, so presumably you could eat it off the spoon or use it in jam making.....