- Hardcover: 224 pages
- Publisher: Yale University Press; 1st edition (14 May 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0300195729
- ISBN-13: 978-0300195729
- Product Dimensions: 14.8 x 3.4 x 22.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 417,371 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Men from the Ministry: How Britain Saved Its Heritage Hardcover – 14 May 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
." . .[This] is a timely book documenting the long and passionate struggle for preserving historic buildings and sites."--R. C./i>--R. C. Richardson"THES" (03/06/2014)
'Thurley's text [is] knowledgeable, subtle, supple, by turns celebratory and sardonic.'--David Lowenthal, "TLS"--David Lowenthal,"TLS" (06/20/2014)
"State ownership makes conservation political and Thurley knows his cannot help but be a political book" Rosemary Hill, "Sunday Telegraph."
--Rosemary Hill"Sunday Telegraph" (06/23/2013)
"Everyone involved with looking after historic buildings today. . .should read Simon Thurley s. . .well-researched and readable book [...].Dr Thurley, as the chief executive of English Heritage since 2003 and a former Director of the Museum of London and Curator of Historic Royal Palaces is in an exceptional position to tell this tale, which he does at a cracking pace." Jeremy Musson, "Historic House"--Jeremy Musson"Historic House" (11/01/2013)"
. . .[This] is a timely book documenting the long and passionate struggle for preserving historic buildings and sites. R. C./i>--R. C. Richardson"THES" (03/06/2014)"
Thurley s text [is] knowledgeable, subtle, supple, by turns celebratory and sardonic. David Lowenthal, "TLS"--David Lowenthal,"TLS" (06/20/2014)"
About the Author
Simon Thurley is the Chief Executive of English Heritage. He was formerly the Director of the Museum of London, and the Curator of Historic Royal Palaces.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I sent this book to my brother as a present, but he says it is excellent and he is enjoying it.Published on 28 July 2014 by Vicky Young
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Art Issues
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media & Communication Industries > Press & Journalism