Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 28 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
To my surprise, these products have been a big hit with my two children (2 and 4 1/2). They've been playing with them non-stop this morning for an hour and aren't bored yet. I'm surprised because all they're doing is using water to make the pictures appear. It doesn't require much creativity or independent thought compared to doing actual drawing or painting. But the big bonus is that it's totally mess free! My oldest quite likes the letters one but prefers the picture one as it's more fun and colourful. For now, these are very good although I suspect they will get bored of them quite soon!
on 27 September 2014
They are ok but I do not like the fact that the tall cardboard at the back is not removable. Why is that? Just for hanging them in the shops? I took one one thinking they were, and the back cover of the little pad was ruined. The design does not allow you to move pages to the back as you would do with a normal notepad with the ring binding on top. The pens are good, although I do not recommend filling them up because you might use too much water and wet the pad too much. The colouring designs are nice and my daughter likes playing with them (21 months).
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These books are proving very successful with our almost-3-year-old grandson. He wants to draw and colour but doesn't quite have enough control yet. The books gives him the satisfaction of seeing impressive results for his efforts and the incentive to create similar pictures from scratch. He likes using the brushes (the 'pens' have bush tips) instead of the crayons he's more used to.

The books are portable, of course, with built-in storage for the brushes, hence good to take on trips. It would be even better if the 'pens' could be filled and sealed, so that we didn't have to take water separately or find some at our destination.

More importantly, as far as we're concerned, you have to be prepared to teach your (grand)children American spellings and words such as 'practice' (used as a verb), 'color', sea star (starfish) and ladybug (ladybird). They're fine, if you use American English, but we don't. I've deducted an extra star - sorry Melissa & Doug.

At its current £14.36, the set is reasonably priced but worth considering only as long as you don't mind US English. The Galt equivalents appear to use UK English but I can't be sure.
on 6 October 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These water writing/painting packs have been a real hit with my 4 year old daughter. They comprise 3 notepad type books with 4 images, covering letters, numbers and a more general picture one. The idea is you take the water brush on the front (a cartridge you fill with water and a brush) and as you paint the image, it comes to life with lots of bright colours. Best of all, after a period of time it goes back to white and can be used over and over again.

My 4 year old daughter loves this - she was a bit mesmerised by it going back to white within an hour of her playing with it. She has also got quite good at writing letters (she is starting to do that now at school) with a paintbrush, so there is some educational value as well. Others have commented how quickly it returns to white but I think this is a reflection of something else which is good news - given it's a book so you want to turn the pages, the colours do not run at all, and the sheets/cards do not get crumpled.

On the downside, as a parent I find it a bit annoying that there is a pen holder on each of the three books which makes it a bit more bulky to travel with, but to be honest, that's my only complaint. At the time of writing, this is good value as well.
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you want to help inspire your child's artistic side but do so without any mess, then these Water Wow sets are a good option. Using just water, colours appear magically on the page, delighting the kiddies.
A word of warning must be given, however, as there is a lot of American 'English' in this which you may not want your child developing. It's hard enough with all the American kid's TV shows teaching them American vocab which then has to be 'untaught' and these sorts of things just add to the problem. I personally am fed up trying to teach the kids that they should be saying ladybird and not ladybug and that colour is spelt with a 'u' in it etc.
A nice set of fun activities but beware the American vocab and spelling.
VINE VOICEon 7 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A solidly okay product here. Not Melissa & Doug's best effort but superior to many similar toys out there.

Our son is just over 2 years old and is, therefore, a bit too young to fully get the best out of these - though that does mean the irritating use of USA English doesn't matter to him one iota, though the other reviews have been right to point out that the product does not use British spellings - he does love making a mess though! Which is where this product is a hit.

Sharing much in common with the Aquadoodle concept, our boy can go potty drawing like mad with these pens on the special paper without us worrying about anything more than a bit of water getting on the carpets or on the car seats. Indeed, the product suggests it is ideal for travel play and I have to say that I agree on that point. He thoroughly enjoyed drawing away on the journey to his Grandma's this weekend.

I give this 3 stars rather than anything higher for two reasons - firstly I do feel that the price tag here is a little on the high side, though accept that items well made like these do attract a higher value there are decent alternatives out there that are cheaper. Secondly, the US spelling will mean that these are put away once we are ready to really focus on his word development. Can it really be so difficult/costly to address this?
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I actually quite like this set of reuseable Melissa and Doug water-reveal books, but they're not without issues - hence the average 3 star rating. Each of the three books is well made, featuring 4 board pages of water-reveal images accompanied by a page each of educational suggestions. The water pens are actually little tubes which can be filled with water, which then provides a constant slow-flow onto a paintbrush-tipped end. The pen can be emptied and stored in a slightly flimsy plastic storage capsule that's integrated into the front cover of each book. The colours revealed by dampening the pages are nice and bright (compared to e.g. traditional magic painting books). They've gone down a treat with the 3 year-old critic.

Where this set perhaps falls down is in: the speed with which the pages seem to start drying out (it's quite hard to complete a page without sections of it having started to fade), the use of American English spelling, and the price point. I didn't pay for these, having received them as a review item freebie, but would probably have balked at the bundle price. They're well made, reusable, mess-free activity books, in a conveniently portable sized-format but at around fifteen pounds for twelve quite small pages are a little on the stingy side. I did also have an issue that one of the three books in the bundle I received was damaged: and not due to packaging or transit jolting either. The shrink wrap around the outside of the bundle was far too tight, bending the cover of one of the books.
on 30 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our daughter is only 16 months old but already showing great interest in drawing. Closely supervised by us, we tried her with this product and she really got on well with it - she was colouring away (obviously too young to colour in properly, but she enjoyed watching the colours appear) and the beauty of it was...no mess!

Very impressed with this simple, but "magic" product which I am sure she will appreciate even more when she is old enough to colour in each of the four animal-themed boards properly!
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are great sheets, While I admit they aquadoodle sheets by another name, they are easy to use. Educative and fun. I try to mix and match what I am doing with my daughter so that it is less of a homework and more of a fun thing...As with all children she is happy to play with water and get as much everywhere as quickly as possible. So somethings get a little damp but water doesn't do much harm.
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My three year old has really enjoyed set. It is easy to fill up the pens and get started. She enjoyed the animal pictures the most and really liked searching for and counting the different animals.

It took her some time to complete the books, and by the time she had done the last one, the first one was dry again and ready for use again.

Would recommend!