Medium-Range Weather Prediction: The European Approach Hardcover – 7 Sep 2005
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the reviews:
"Austin Woods undertook … ambitious enterprise by guiding the reader through four decades of research and development structured into 20 chapters, which are surrounded by three forewords and three appendices. … The great strengths of Woods’ story lie in his unassuming tone, his short and at times dry personal style … . Furthermore the author has a gift to explain the complex facets inherent in modern weather forecasting in a fashion that puts the interested … reader on a valuable track towards (a better) understanding." (H. Volkert, Meteorologische Zeitschrift, Vol. 15 (6), 2006)
About the Author
Dr. James Austin Woods (PhD Meteorology Penn State University 1970 and 1972) joined ECMWF in 1978 from the Irish Meteorological Service as Head of Meteorological Operations and became Assistant Director in 1984. In 2004 he retired, at the age of 63.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This book should include a correction ( errata) related to its distorted account on the historical start of 4-D variational data assimilation.
It was the "mathematician" Francois Xavier le Dimet that pioneered the introduction of the optimal control concept of using the adjoint of the forward model to obtain gradient of the cost function with respect to the control variable in 1981 to the atmospheric science community.
It was first received with reluctance and incredulity but later fully embraced.
This was fully acknowledged by the late Dr Tony Hollingsworth.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geology > Economic Geology
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Meteorology
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Global Warming
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Weather
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Geology