Customer reviews

on 21 August 2010
Wow, that is a one great book. Claudia Roden goes beyond the usual and creates a book of a little history and language training. One will find some very recipes native to the Mediterranean. They have been gathered through the author`s travels and talks with housewives.
on 14 August 1999
Claudia Roden's book is an excellent guide to cooking in the mediterranean. I have had it for over eight years and still use it regularly. There are a huge selection of recipies. It is really good for looking up recipies for dishes first tried on holiday. Most of the recipies use ingredients that are redily available in this country and they always seem to work. Many of the recipies were collected from people in their homes, so they are not over complex and elaborate. An excellent cookery book and introduction to the food of the Med.
on 21 March 2011
This book is a complete bible of everything that is good with Med food. Covers everything. Thumbing through and getting hungry, I was about to head for my local supermarket, for ingredients and ended up in my favourite Turkish restaurant in Manchester.

Excited and cannot wait to start cooking, Italy, Greece, France, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey and more.

Claudia covers everything, with history and this lady has an insight into countries which make the book exellent reading.

If I never owned the book and there was one left in a book shop, I would fight for it!! Excellent.

Xman
on 11 December 2013
Claudia Roden is a superlative cookery writer, and the antithesis of the tv celebrity chefs with their pretentious menus, culinary gimmicks and largely spurious expertise. Her menus are as simple as Elizabeth David's, and as simply written, and they work!
on 1 November 2012
I have cooked and travelled with this book, and when I want to travel and can't, I read this book. I actually bought this copy for my son who is just finding the passion of cooking and wanted him to get the enjoyment out of it that I have over the years. God bless Ms Roden
on 13 June 2014
Rather outdated but I knew that when I ordered it. Not enough pictures in it for me but I suppose that means more recipes.
Claudia's books are always full of interesting facts about the places she's covering so well worth it just for that.
on 9 April 2013
Mostly middle eastern recipes, easy to follow, although a few of the ingedients are not readily available in most supermarkets
on 8 April 2013
I enjoyed trying out new, and favourite recipes and even bought a second volume to give as an Xmas present.
on 26 March 2014
Another great book from a lovely lady which is full of lovely recipes which are easy to follow and fun.
on 24 September 2015
Having worn out the paperback of this book, we decided to get a hardback copy. This arrived 'as new, and to our joy it has many coloured illustrations. So a perfect book in perfect condition.