on 22 March 2006
As a working mother of a premature baby I have used 3 types of medela breast pumps and they all have advantages and disadvantages.
In the hospital we used the industrial strength electric version, which is very heavy and expensive. I wouldn't recommend it for home use.
The mini electric is a lighter and cheaper version than the industrial and doesn't have the dual phase. I found it better than the large electric pump and bought one for when I returned to work, the only disadvantage is that it's very noisy and I feel as if the whole office can hear me expressing. However you only need one hand and can type or eat while you're using it.
Embarrassed about the noise of the mini electric I also now have a harmony breast pump. This is very quiet and just as quick as the mini electric. It is also half the price. However the dual phase isn’t really necessary, you can't multi task as you need both hands and it can be tiring on the pumping hand.
I have only tried medela pumps as I have been told they are the best. I've given this item 4 stars because of the noise but I don’t think you will find a better pump.
on 14 November 2014
Having read some of the reviews here I felt compelled to add my own.
I was given this on loan from my sis-in-law. I had no idea at the time that id actually come to use it having decided during pregnancy to EBF. Once DD was here things were very different and I had to use the hospital breast pump. When I got home I never thought this pump would do the job, but it did. Very well.
I used it several times a day, every day and it took about 20 minutes to completely empty one breast. (My sis-in-law said she used it loads too and if anything over expressed causing her to have very full, sore, massive...well, you know!)
I wasn't given the instruction manual with the pump. How hard can it be to put a few obvious bits together and flick a switch?
As time went on and I needed to pump more I decided to buy a more heavy duty version so brought the Medela Freestyle to do both boobs at the same time. It was a waste of money. No power at all so the bottle just didn't fill! Having wasted £250 on a second hand one (or thereabouts) I sold it on at a big loss and immediately went back to the mini.
Downsides of the mini are; It is a bit noisy. That's it.
When I owned this pump the breast shield was fixed and you couldn't buy other sizes from Medela to fit you better. It was a bit big for me and so too much of my boob would get sucked in! :0/ (At least with the Freestyle you could change the sizes.) I emailed Medela a few months ago to give them feedback and say that it was a shame I couldn't change sizes and they said they have now made an adapter so smaller breast shields can be fitted and sent me one free of charge.
So over all its a real work horse and is capable of much more that it claims and does a good job of it!
I've returned it to my sister-in-law now and no doubt she's lent it to another friend. Now i'm pregnant with baby 2 ill be buying my own Medela Mini Electric.
on 7 June 2014
God I loved this pump. It has great suction. It's light & compact. It's a bit noisy but you get used to it. In fact the sound used to put my daughter to sleep!! Bonus!! I had trouble breast feeding & hand expressing was so difficult. My hands used to start aching. This pump was such a great help. I pumped with this for about 8 months.
on 21 June 2010
Medela "USE IT OCCASIONALLY". After 2 weeks of everyday use my pump stopped working. Medela told me I can't use it everyday. I should use it occasionally. What a joke. I've never heard of anything like it. I thought the pump is there to use whenever I want, not once in a blue moon.
on 7 March 2005
My midwife recommended this pump and I soon discovered why. It is small and discreet for travel purposes. It is easy to use, easy to clean and value for money.
on 2 June 2014
Great little pump, works wells, is easy to use. Doesn't take up much space if you need to take it on the go.
This is one of 7 pumps I've owned and I would recommend it.
Only downside is that it's very noisy, but then most of them are.
I've yet to come across a quiet breast pump, and this was no exception. However, it was comfortable and being electric was highly effective. Its not painful and the different settings can help you get used to the pace. A very gentle setting is good to start with, but as I got used to it, I had it on the highest setting with no discomfort but lots of milk. The bottle is detachable so you can just pour it into an ice cube tray or bottle and reattach it for another go. You have to take it apart to sterilise it, and it can also be used with batteries and is therefore portable. I have seen this recommended by a lot of Mum's groups and sites, and I am happy to add my recommendation too.
on 13 March 2014
I wouldn't say that I express more milk using this rather than my manual pump, nor do I find it much quicker but it is definitely easier. Worth buying.
on 25 July 2016
Hello,

In January 2016 I purchased on amazon Medela mini electric breast pump. In February from one day to another it simply stopped working and it was kindly exchanged by Amazon (with an excellent service). Yesterday it simply stopped working again. I was using it and briefly stopped, switched it off and after 5 minutes I started using it again and it just would not work (!?). I do not know why. I did not drop it etc. It was fine and then all of a sudden it would not work. I am not sure whether it is on warrantee, but would you be able to help me? Is there any trouble shooting I should do? Right ow I cannot live without this pump :(

I would be very grateful for any advice, help......

Thank you.
Gosia
on 7 January 2014
When I was preparing for the arrival of my baby I knew I wanted to B/feed exclusively. This proved hard work and so I wanted to express milk so he still had the goodness. I tried other manual pumps on other peoples recommendation and none worked for me, I wish I had purchased this one at the start as it would have saved me a lot of money.

It is small enough to pop in my bag if I wanted to. I liked the option of being mains or battery operated which makes it more convenient to use. It's very easy to use and has good suction so can express several ounces in a short amount of time, which is great considering you don't get much time to fit expressing in with everything else you're doing.

Would definitely recommend