on 15 February 2017
Brilliant book for young students beginning the piano. I teach primary school piano and used to use John Thomson's Easiest Piano book. I have now switched to Me and My Piano and found that students enjoy it much more and learn more from it. Rather than having to explain time signatures, note values, fingering, AND two clefs on the first page, Me and My Piano starts off with playing just the right hand to make sure that the student understand how to read rhythms before confusing them with the bass clef. Then the left hand is introduced separately, which proceeds to playing hands together.

I feel that this is a much better way of teacher the younger student and the kids love the songs with the lyrics underneath that they can sing along to. The teacher accompaniment is also very simple which allows you to concentrate on the student's playing rather than your own.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2015
a very popular beginners book, nice and colorful and by the most famous fanny waterman. I do tend to use Young beginners books more with the CD as they progress slower, so for a 5 yr to 7yr, unless they practise at least 1hr and 30min a week or more, I would go for the other book 1 and then you can switch to book 2 of this series. I find most of my students these days don';t get enough practise in due to ALL the activities they are doing!
4 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2017
Not sure this is the appropriate book for my 8 year old but it was recommended by her piano teacher. As a grade 4 violinist starting piano, this has been very easy. She is almost half way through the book after a couple of lessons. Granted she was self-learning before getting formal instruction. All the local young pianists use this and like it though. Easy to understand with fun tunes.
One person found this helpful
on 15 October 2017
This is a brilliant piano book for beginners or any age. It has pictorial guidance for the notes hence telling you where the notes are on the piano along with the corresponding notes on the manuscript. Illustrations with colours always helps. Would recommend it for younger beginners but can be a bit tedious/monotonous for slightly older beginners.
on 13 July 2017
I have bought many of these tutor books before. The children I teach aged 6 to 10 enjoy learning from this series and are age appropriate. Sent quickly. Excellent.
One person found this helpful
on 28 January 2014
My 9-year old son has a piano lesson at school for about 30 minutes each week. They use this book.
The book is divided into 3 sections. The first introduces right-hand playing, the second introduces left-hand playing, and the final section combines the two (although not simultaneously - that comes later).

After just 1 and a half terms, my son has moved on to the next book in this series having mastered all the songs in this book to a reasonable level.
I'm seriously considering using it myself, now.
on 23 October 2013
I teach piano and this book is my favourite for younger children. I'd recommend it for 6-8 year olds. It starts very simply and I like the way one note is introduced at a time. The tunes are a bit more interesting than in some tutor books I've seen. Older children will get through this pretty quickly, the piano time series is probably a better choice for ages 9 and up.
7 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2018
Good information, steady development. Shame it doesn’t include newer methods of early improvisation exercises, such as starting with black notes. Highly recommended, though
on 28 March 2017
Fanny Waterman's piano course has taught more people to play the piano successfully than any other.
I learned with it, and now I am delighted to be buying these for my daughter.
on 27 November 2017
My daughter's piano teacher asked us to buy this book which is easy to follow and good to learn from.