Customer reviews

on 29 September 2005
If you already have one of the other books on this much missed racing engineer and driver, especially Mr Young's oriniginal biography from 1971, then you might not expect to learn too much more from this one. However, this is a great book in its own right, and does cast new light on some old stories. For me the chapter on Le Mans 1966 finally gives a credible account of what happened around that infamous finish, and was worth the price of the book alone.
It is a book I feel every motor racing enthusiast should have in their library, and I thoroughly recommend it.
on 26 November 2007
I found this a much better book than his earlier biography 'Bruce Mclaren: the Man and his Racing Team,.
In the earlier years there are many more (very appreciated) personal memories but again (I am sorry!) by the mid sixties Eoin once again resorts to (excellently researched but previously published) magazine articles. I would also like to know what became of his widow & daughter even if only in the briefest terms.
In case anyone thinks that I have a 'down' on this author I would state that whist I have quite a pile of motor sport books waiting to be read, I always read Eoin's as soon as they are delivered! But perhaps because I am expecting too much I am always left feeling slightly dissapointed.
PS. Eoin: have you ever though of writing a biography of Tyler Alexander - he has always fascinated me and I know little about him. Not commercial enough perhaps?
on 15 January 2014
OK let's do it! Eoin Young is a great journalist and author. Bruce McLaren was great driver, a motivator of men and a terrific thinker and engineer, more than sad that we lost him so young! The author tells it as memories, which is great and has a very personal style, it transports you back in time and reminds you haw it used to be. The chapters fly by too fast, if you are a serious petrolhead add it to your library now!
on 30 July 2011
Great book about Bruce Mclaren, who I met several times.
This book is up to Mr Young's usual high standard.
This book should be on evey Petrolheads bookshelf.