on 30 September 2011
The man is a ledgend, a real hero to the common man. If you want a laugh out loud book!! This is it.
77 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2012
I have to admit I didn't buy this book, it was left on a train seat (don't blame them!) and I had nothing else to read and a 2.5 hour journey so I thought "what the heck" and cracked on. I would have been better served counting pylons pass.

I will concede that I've never liked the guy - he's not even 'pub funny' and so that transpired as I read this over-inflated , talentless ego harp on about the old days and his days as a celebrity.

The writing is second rate, the anecdotes are uninteresting and he fails to to tickle my funnybone even once. I would rather slit open my scrotum, insert 15 live wasps and stitch my scrotum back together, then ask Ian Botham to set about my knees with a cricket bat whilst I sit back and down a pint of caustic soda, whilst watching some 'Katie - what I did next' than put myself through that again. Suffice to say I don't recommend anyone read this drivel, much less actually spend some of your hard earned cash on it. I'm struggling to imagine who would actually buy this 'celebrity's book, but evidently some people did.

Naturally I left it on the train when I alighted. I'll never get those 2 hours back!
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 October 2011
If you want to read a poorly written book about someone with no real talent than this is for you.
There are a few funny anecdotes but this mainly shows Cordon to be someone who disappeared up an orifice a long time ago.
I hope some of the other celeb books released this month are much better.
44 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 October 2011
So, being a fan of some of James's TV shows, The History Boys, One Man Two Guv'nors, and seeing the very low price for the Kindle edition, I bought this with no hesitation. I wish I hadn't bothered and I should have realised that there must be a reason why the book is being so heavily discounted - this is exactly the type of celebrity autobiography that gives books like this a bad name these days.

I agree with those who've said there's alot of dull anecdotes here, something I'm surprised about as I'm a huge fan of Gavin and Stacey, which James co-wrote, of course. As if that wasn't bad enough, many of the anecdotes are clearly padded out to fill space and my goodness I was almost losing the will to live several times reading some parts here, such as when he was in a nativity play, then when he starts a band at school, and how he got into rugby there. It gets a bit better once his career gets going, though. There's a funny story involving Steve Coogan at a strip club, his thoughts on Beaconsfield commuters are amusing and perceptive, and the inspiration behind Gavin and Stacey is interesting, but that's it. His writing style is bland and flat, which doesn't help and there's a huge lack of insight into the people around him. No-one really comes alive here and I found this disappointing considering the time he spent with the other History Boys actors as well as the Gavin and Stacey cast and crew. This book confirms to me how narcissistic and self-absorbed the guy can be, though he's certainly eager to come across as humble as possible, as if he's cynically using the opportunity to help rebuild his public reputation. He skirts over the Patrick Stewart row and doesn't even mention when he swore at a Guardian TV critic at an awards ceremony. I also sensed the book was done at a rapid rate to meet the deadline, though he says he went 5,000 words over. But the book is 352 pages which is average for a memoir and then there's the obvious padding out at the beginning so I'm not sure I believe that.

Why is there a picture of his girlfriend cutting into a steak?! Who cares?

I read that James reportedly signed a seven figure sum for this book and I suppose I don't blame him for doing it, especially because as he says at the end he's got a family to support, but still, I feel like I'm being a little generous giving this two stars as it's more one and a half star standard, really. I feel sorry that I wasted my time reading this drivel.
on 21 February 2015
There are several reasons I was pre-disposed and, indeed, determined not to like James Corden's autobiography "May I Have Your Attention, Please?" For one thing, I'm not a fan of young people (and Corden is only six weeks older than my younger brother) writing their autobiographies. After all, how can you sum up a life that's barely half done? It smacks to me of opportunism and a chance to cash in on fleeting fame as well as double the money when a later autobiography can also be released to fill in the rest of their life and career.

There's also the fact that I'm not a huge fan of James Corden. Admittedly, he was in "The History Boys", which is a film I always enjoy, but I managed to miss "Gavin & Stacey", the show that made him most famous, almost entirely. I've also been less than impressed with his hosting duties on Sky's "A League of Their Own", where he comes across as a bit of a lad and a show off, which doesn't endear him to me. But a colleague had a copy of the book on his desk just at a point where I'd run out of reading material, so I bit the bullet and gave it a go.

Corden takes us through his life in mostly chronological order, from his slightly disruptive behaviour in school, as he discovered that all he really wanted to do was be the centre of attention. He talks honestly, if slightly guardedly at points, about his relationships with family and friends and about how his fame went to his head and caused him to do things he's not proud of. Whilst there is a major focus on the writing and starring in "Gavin & Stacey", as seems natural, he also talks a lot about starring in and touring with "The History Boys". Many of his other projects are also mentioned, but they tend to be glossed over a little more, with stories being told about them, but with less depth than the aforementioned projects.

Corden's narrative style surprised me here. Whilst he does admit and does recount being a show off from a very young age, he doesn't really dwell on that part of things. Instead, he is surprisingly humble when it comes to recounting many of the people he's worked with and is able to count his blessings more than I expected. This attitude, combined with his fairly chatty writing style, makes this a very comfortable and quite welcoming read. He doesn't get bogged down in too much detail of who did what to whom and that means the pages go past rather quicker than I was expecting and there is often more emotion on display than I anticipated.

Although Corden tends to dwell on his successes, which is typical of an autobiography, he is also honest about his failings. He is aware, perhaps only in hindsight, but aware nonetheless, of the chances he had been given which he wasted. Whilst he's not making things right here, he apportions blame mostly upon himself and does take the chance to apologise to various people he may have wronged and expresses his regrets over the way he acted. This honesty made Corden feel more real to me rather than just some generic famous person, as many autobiographies can do.

I think that it may have helped that large parts of the book were written just as his first child had been born. This seems to have given Corden a new perspective on life and made him view some of his actions a lot differently than he may have done otherwise. It is disappointing that, with this new approach to his life, that the book doesn't go any further to watch him grow with his son, but it does make this book more accessible and less self-centred than it may otherwise have been.

If there is one disappointment here, it will come for those who read celebrity autobiographies to see them dish the dirt and delve deep into their personal lives. Corden focuses much more on his professional career than his personal life, with the exception of his childhood. He does mention a difficult relationship he had with actress Sheridan Smith, but doesn't say anything more than that and doesn't dish any dirt about that relationship, which will leave a gaping hole for those looking solely for gossip and the airing of dirty laundry. He is also quite reticent about his relationship with his long-term girlfriend when he was younger and with his current partner, talking about how they came to meet, but little about their lives together. In this respect, he is far more gentlemanly than I gave him credit for before I read the book.

Not being someone who reads autobiographies for the sensationalism, I loved this book. It is not only very readable, but it has changed my opinion of Corden significantly. I would still have preferred it not to have been released quite so early in his life, but he has packed a lot into his years and finding out about all of his proved highly enjoyable. This proved to be an unexpected gem and was certainly worthy of the attention I gave it.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
on 3 October 2011
Like the chap on TV (at least I did) but he has now become a parody of himself. Nothing original here at all and is yet another case of celeb who feels that an autobiography after 5 years of being in the public eye is warranted. Whereas standups are generally pretty witty, creative writers, he's very much benefitted from good scripts. And this is not good script.
33 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 February 2018
Picked this up on a whim and found it enjoyable, despite never considering myself a fan of Corden.
The book was published in 2011, so focuses on his creative career, as opposed to his recent endeavour as a talk show host. I personally believe that this is Corden at his most humble and genuine, at least compared to the smugness he's displayed in recent years.

The book is well written and Corden articulates well, but it is far too long. Or rather, too much time is spent on irrelevancies- such as one mundane and overlong chapter about Rugby, which has nothing to do with his career and serves no larger purpose.
Perhaps this time could have been dedicated to Corden talking about his process as an actor- which is completely void?
There was also one point where Corden described a period of depression, which struck me as wallowing in self pity. It's hard for readers who lack both the financial and professional success of the man (most of us) to feel sorry for him. Sorry!

I got the constant sense that he is perhaps holding back on his real opinions, or is too passive, not wanting to offend.
By no means do I want to endure 352 pages of moaning but aside from an old teacher of his and the show Hollyoaks, he critiqued very little. I understand that he might be an optimist, but it's an autobiography. In addition, I urge you when reading this to keep count of how many times Corden states that something is a 'favourite' of his, be it a film or actor. It becomes quite annoying.

That said, Corden's compensates with his great ability to paint a picture. It amazes me how detailed his memories are, and truthfully this book is written for fans of Corden, not me, so that has to be considered.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 October 2011
Really great AB. Started off slow but had absolutely no idea how much he has actually done. I've gained even more respect for him than I already had!! A must read!
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 January 2012
I dont read much, i can count on one hand the amount of books that have held my interest long enough for me to finish them. This book did hold my interest and perhaps that's down to the fact i'm an aspiring actor/writer myself so to be honest i drew some inspiration from his story.

The book has a light-hearted and chatty tone from the get go and unless your a cold hearted cynic will surely have you chuckle out loud a few times. There are parts of the book which go into great detail a little inexplicably; there is a whole chapter on his high school rugby team, yet there are times when he fails to even mention some things until he fleetingly adds in a little sentence that he filmed a whole second series of a TV show - sometimes i wish he perhaps put the detail into other areas.

What is most charming for me about the book other than its warm tone is the story of how he went from a overweight, under achiever at school who failed hundreds of auditions to the man he is today; a successful actor/writer. Its interesting to hear where he drew inspiration for Gavin & Stacy and about some of the things that have gone on in his career.

As I mentioned im not a big reader so i dont really know what i should expect from an autobiography, but for what its worth James Cordon entertained and inspired me as a aspiring actor myself and for that his book was worth the read.

There are more cynical bookworms who devour autobiographies weekly who will tell you its light on detail, wishy washy and far too warm and whimsical. They want the dirty details and soul bearing extravaganzas. The truth is different people find different things interesting, for me I can relate to a lot of what he writes about and I enjoy his writing style, it made for an unassuming and easy read and didn't try to be too clever.

If your a Cordon fan im sure you'll enjoy it, if your an actor or writer looking for some inspiration and a laugh then this ones worth a read. Good book.
on 18 November 2011
Who the hell does not like James Corden, he's funny witty and loveable..
Loving the book and can't put the thing down.