on 2 November 2011
I have to mark/edit this down to 1 star from my previous 5 stars. I get my monthly hit of Promax extreme from Amazon subscription and my latest batch I received tasted different and a little sour. I also noticed that it did not mix as well in Milk as it all clumped up at the bottom of the shaker (mixes well in water but require more shaking effort). Now, I knew from past experience, this is not the great Maximuscle Promax Extreme that I have been taking, so I contacted Maximuscle to ask if it was safe to drink as I may have a bad batch. While I was waiting for them to reply, I did a little bit of investigation to the tub and realised the nutrition value is different. My immediate thought was that Amazon has sent me a fake tub. I then went on to the Maximuscle website and confirmed that they have changed the product by downgrading (IMO) it's quality.

Instead of the previous 85g of protein per 100g, You now get only 65g per 100g. A massive drop in protein levels.

Glutamine has decreased from 5.5 to 3.7g per 100g. Creatine looks to be at the same level.

[...]

I then received an email back from Maximuscle (looks like part of GSK), that I should not be mixing with milk and should only be used with water. I swear they have always stated to use milk to take advantage of the casein during bed time? I have lost all confidence with the brand. I am now changing product to Optimum Nutrition and staying well clear from Maximuscle.

I did reply asking a reason for the sudden change of quality, no reply and that was over 7 days ago.

This is for the Chocolate flavour, so who knows about the other flavours. Amazon - please update the product description please, In fact create a new product page as all the previous reviews are not accurate anymore.
22 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2014
Not as good as it once was. They have reduced the amount of protein and at the same time upped the scoop size - so you get less protein and less servings per tub - by around 16%. The product was already expensive so I;m not sure how they can justify this.

Some people claim that maximuscle products are inferior and not worth spending money on - claiming they can mix their own cheaper elsewhere by themselves. But I think these people are just too poor to buy Maximuscle. If you have money to spare then why not.
The chocolate is gross - unless you mix it with milk. Strawberry is by far the best taste. Bananna is meh.
on 13 June 2011
The combination of high quality protein, creatine and glutamine makes this product perfect for building muscle mass when weight training intensively 3-4 times per week. The creatine helps improve strength and power and the glutamine helps aid muscle repair which is very important after training sessions.

I would recommend taking one scoop before training and one scoop after training. The powder mixes well with water or milk and the majority of the flavours are very tasty. Having tried all of the flavours, I would recommend Strawberry, Cookies & Cream or Chocolate.

After having taken Promax Extreme for approximately 3 months I have noticed an increase in my strength and my physical size after regularly playing rugby and participating in weight training.

Overall, a great supplement for anyone looking to increase their muscle size and strength.
on 26 January 2011
Excellent product but slightly hard to distinguish a difference between promax extreme and ordinary promax. However, after a while of taking this product there is probably a more rapid change noticable. But great-tasting and easy to drink
on 4 March 2011
Good value for money, does exactly what it says on the tin, just need to follow a good workout regime and use it regularly. Good taste for me.
on 17 March 2014
I am giving this one star purely on them sending old stock, they sent the maxi muscle version.

I assume the product is 100% the same, however, if I wanted the old version I would of picked it up locally and I'd suggest at a cheaper price as it is now old stock and branding. I think it should be made clear you are sending old stock.

That said I think the product is good.
on 8 January 2014
A much better flavour than most of the other similar products and it does what it says on the tin.
on 28 March 2014
I received an old Maximuscle Promax Extreme that only contains 65.7g protein per 100g, as opposed to the 85g that the new Maxinutrition supposedly contains, which is what I ordered.

Similar thing happened with my previous order and I just got on with it but I wish I hadn't. The taste and quality is just not the same - looks like others have had similar issues. Smacks of trying to shift discontinued stock to me, not good enough.
on 2 June 2014
Ordered this product when it was around £20 and was really impressed with the time in which they got the product to me. The taste is ok as far protein powders go. Been using the shake for a few weeks and it has helped me with recovery, for the price it was worth it.
on 4 April 2013
I found by taking Maximuscle promax extreme it allowed me to train for longer and recover more quickly, I am not into spending hours in the gym lifting weights, but over 3 months of use training for 40 minutes 3 x a week I have increased my biceps by 5cms