Flavour: Dark Chocolate Orange|Change

on 11 September 2015
I'm trying to eat more protein. These bars are a cheap (at least when I got them) way of doing that.

In addition, they are very chewy. Squats and deadlifts might be a good start, but when it comes to packing on face gains, a 1-bar chew gives a serious workout. Recommended progression - start with a 1 bite chew, linearly progress to a 5 bite chew.
on 5 March 2015
Tastes good, nice and chewy and chocolatey, but it doesn't taste like Cookie dough, just tastes like a generically nice chocolate bar. Far far better than the Cyclone bars that maxi do which contain creatine, the aftertaste in those is awful. I prefer Quest bars, but these offer better value for money. Not sure I would buy again, but there's nothing wrong with them.
on 24 August 2009
I've been eating these Meal bars for over three years now. They're soft and palatable and reasonably easy to digest. (The plain chocolate ones are pretty good too.) I sometimes have one instead of lunch when I've got a busy day. They're low in fat, sugar and salt which makes them fairly healthy. I also find them quite filling and don't feel hungry again for 2-3 hours. Probably one of the better products of this kind on the market.
Per Bar: 206 calories, 21.6g protein, 5.7g fat, 17g carbs, 5.7g fibre

I bought these in both the Chocolate an the Chocolate Orange flavours. Both are equally good although at first I only liked the Chocolate flavour. The Chocolate Orange flavour reminds me of the orange flavoured chocolate you get in the new Terry's Black Magic chocolate box and not so much of bars of Terry's Chocolate Orange (incase this is what you're expecting!) If you only want to order one flavour, go for the chocolate (it's the safe bet!)

The bars are really satisfying and are good to have on the go. I have a real sweet tooth and often just eat half a bar as a snack when I get a chocolate craving. They are really chocolatey, with a satisfying chewy texture and the bar feels genuinely substantial to consume. They do control hunger aswell. No complaints whatsoever - a great way to get your protein and an excellent chocolate substitue if you're dieting! Highly recommended!
on 13 November 2015
Nice bars, but slightly weird consistency. Almost like it's got small chunks of soft peanut in. I think this is meant to be cookie dough, but it doesn't taste or feel like it. I'm sure they didn't used to be like that but I've had a few boxes recently and they've all be like it. Don't think I'll get this flavour again. The blueberry smoothie are delicious and get my vote from now on :)
on 17 August 2015
Can't comment on their effectiveness in aiding muscle growth or such-like, but I do like the flavour; definitely chocolate with a cherry undertone (though think cherry flavouring rather than fresh cherries). As with all of these Promax bars, they're pretty chewy -- somewhere between Mars-bar and chewy toffee is the best I can offer by way of description. Your jaw muscles will get a bit of a workout, especially if you keep them in the fridge!

Texture is a little bit... granular or powdery I guess. Hard to describe and I can't think of any day-to-day foods that are similar. If you've eaten protein bars before you'll know what to expect.

Pretty sure these aren't intended as meal replacements and on those occasions I've had one for breakfast I've needed to eat again within an hour or two. They're good enough to keep me going for an hour or so at the gym or on a run.

You can make your own mind up about the nutritional values; I'd say the sugar content isn't too bad for this type of product, though I do wish the calorie count was a bit lower. I wouldn't recommend these for anyone just trying to reduce their calorie intake, I think they're best viewed as a protein source rather than a "diet bar".
on 9 June 2016
I have no idea if these actually "work", but as a pre/post work out snack they're not bad.
Seriously hard work chewing and as others have said, they don't really taste like cookie dough - quite chocolatey and with a strange texture. Not unplesant but not nice enough to make me particularly look forward to the next one.
on 30 April 2016
First box were perfect, great taste, chewy texture whuch showed there is clearly the amount of protein in the bars as advertised. Second box came and I got unlucky with some blooming on the chocolate. Still tasted fine. Don't buy this if you have weak teeth! They are also very satisfying, do not eat one of these before dinner. The chocolate is also dark so if you don't like dark choco, get another product!
on 22 November 2016
In comparison to other protein bars out there (for around the same macros) I'll give these a 3/5. I've tried a load of different bars and there are definitely nicer bars out there, Grenade Carb Killas for example. I've tried the cookie dough, cherry and chocolate flavors. I guess you can compare the inside to that of the nougart on a Mars bar covered with a thin layer of dark chocolate. The Cookie dough flavor tastes nothing like cookie dough. There are little white bits inside the bar that I guess are meant to look like chocolate chips? They're actually almonds. It seems a bit weird that it's covered in dark chocolate. It would be nicer covered in white or milk chocolate. If they're on offer then they're a cheap protein hit. If they're not on offer then don't bother, they're disappointing.
on 31 August 2015
Honestly, these are terrible. They mess with your stomach and taste horrible.

The worst thing about these however is that when eating, it is like biting into hardened play doe* It's rock solid*

I've been training athletically for more than two decades and never eaten something so tasteless and useless.

Avoid. !!