on 14 November 2013
For those who loved the film on DVD - this is a lovely Blu-Ray release to re-enjoy the Movie all over again. Having not seen it for a few years, one thing suddenly shouted out at me. That Danny DeVito was indeed a sorely underestimated director. All the various camera angles and not afraid of the long shots, you can tell he worked it all out with affection to capture all the right emotions. Ably assisted of course by a good cast and editor. One notable thing on the Blu-Ray is a 2013 Reunion. Everybody reassembled having a genuine warmth and love for each other. And the fact that Danny DeVito comes across as a genuinely nice bloke on the point of trying to hide any touched emotional tears speaks volumes for the care and love he invested into the project. Sadly - no commentary track while all were assembled was a missed opportunity. A party atmosphere while they all watched it together would've been great. That said - for picture quality alone and the little Reunion segment, it's worth upgrading from your old DVD.
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 November 2013
A genuinely delightful family orientated movie in which we find
young 'Matilda' starting out in life not really feeling a part of
her dysfunctional family.
From a young age she had to cater for herself, her father at 'Work'
her mother at 'Bingo' her brother at School.
'Matilda' is a whole lot smarter than her family members realize.
Eventually 'Matilda' is allowed to go too school, something the
eager youngster had wanted to do for some years.
This is where her story really begins.
With Tyrannical Head 'Miss Trunchbull' and the one class teacher
'Miss Honey' who sees potential in her new student, the stage is
set for some magical moments.
The film is often 'laugh-out-loud' funny, a must for the family
movie collection.
The picture and sound quality on the Blu-Ray format is good.
The film does have a 'Blu-Ray' exclusive among it's additional
features which is 'A Magical 'Matilda' reunion.' among the standard
features.....'Making Matilda' by 'Mara Wilson' (who played the title
role)
on 13 April 2016
This is a fantastic film of the Roald Dahl classic. Danny DeVito is superb as Mr Wormwood with real life wife Rhea Perlman starring as Mrs Wormwood, both bringing Matilda's horrible parents to life so well. Matilda is clearly having a ball and who wouldn't with such a great cast and heartwarming story. But Pam Ferris as The Trunchbull steals not just every scene she is in but the whole film. She is wonderfully grotesque, terrifying and will have you booing at the screen whatever age you are. Every so often I get this out again and rewatch, and the magic is always there.
on 6 November 2017
I have been enjoying reading the Roald Dahl books to my little girl and then we watch the movie afterwards.
We were both let down by this movie, it follows the story but as usual with books, Movies don't quite get it all in.

It's American as well so that didn't help.

An ok movie but not as good as the book
on 6 November 2016
My niece ordered this as her sleep over movie. Its a fun film with enough cheekyness to entertain a group of 8 year old girls and an 11 year old sister.
My biggest gripe was that as it was an amazon film purchase we hadnt noticed it was one that needed paying for until I got the receipt. I know that my fault as we were chatting an not totally paying attention but it should flag up a message on the final screen.
on 22 September 2013
Our original dvd got damaged so I was asked if I could buy another copy....I must admit I did leave it for a few months as I was pretty fed up after watch this film (1372 times well seems that much) Now quite happy to have the film again as the granddaughters have their own tv with dvd player in their bedroom to watch it another 1372 times( but without me thank goodness). This film along with Nanny McFee they never seem to tire of.........Highly highly recommended for a little peace and quiet if nothing else.............but I would really recommend this film myself along with the other as both have great story lines
on 4 September 2015
I liked this, as did my kids and we came to the film after reading, and thoroughly enjoying the book. There are always people who will moan that it's not exactly like the book, but then that would be because it's a film..... different medium, different approach. I had no problem with the plot changes or Americanisation of the characters, and all in all thought it was well done.
on 5 April 2013
I bought this back in the day on VHS (remember those) for my young daughters who are all now well and truly grown up. They absolutely loved this movie and watched it over and over and over again until the taped was well and truly worn out. Although I too am very much older than back then, I have a 5 year old son, who discovered this film at his child minder's. Having now bought him a copy on DVD, he too sits and watches it over and over and over again, only now it doesn't wear out. Its a delightfully funny film with an incredible cast including; Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, Mara Wilson and Pam Ferris. Highly recommend this movie for children aged 5 to 80.
on 14 November 2014
This is a classic film to be enjoyed by young and old.Pam Ferris is fantastic and suitability scarey.
The blu ray looks great and there are a de ent host of extra,s.Nice to see the cast reunion and the obvious affection DeVito shows towards the now grown up kids.
A delightful film which now my grandkids enjoy.
Highly recommend
on 17 February 2017
I remember watching and enjoying this film as a child and it hasn't lost any of it's magic. My four year old daughter loves this film and I'm more than happy to sit and watch it with her. Great story and cast - well worth watching!