on 4 February 2018

I purchased this book for two reasons. I had read Rosalind Wiseman's other book, Queen Bees and Wannabees, which was ABSOLUTELY SUPERB; and I had a current student (boy) who was being physically bullied at school, and was looking for some new ideas on how to help him.

Masterminds and Wingmen was equally good as her first book, and I did find a very small (but adequate) amount in this book (about two or three pages) which dealt with strategies to use when someone is being physically bullied. They were helpful in that I had not thought of them before. It covered IF you need to fight, the issues you really need to be aware of first. It also gave some suggestions toward solving the problem without fighting that I had not thought of before (and I speak as both a parent and a teacher of 30 years' experience). If you are looking for a book specifically on how to deal with boys' problems of physical bullying, I would have liked a LOT more on this subject, but so far, I haven't found any better book. At least what this book touched on was useful.

Aside from the question of physical bullying, this book was FANTASTIC. I am a parent, but not of boys. I would recommend this book to any parent, and to EVERY TEACHER. I learned so many things that I had never even thought about.

The most surprising chapters for me dealt with every aspect of video games. As a person with zero interest in video games, I learned all about why they are so important to elementary-school and middle-school boys. Several chapters cover every aspect of how boys relate to each other through video games, and how if one understands the characters and ideas in video games, how one can much better understand boys' thinking and mentality (and even married men's thinking and mentality). I now think I will try out a few video games--not because I'm expecting to love them, but because this experience will help me better relate to my young male pupils as a teacher.

This book covers many, many different aspects of boys' culture, thinking, and daily dilemmas. It is the perfect book for girls and women to read in order to understand the culture of boys and men.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse