Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£27.53

on 20 January 2014
I'm a big fan of Mark Minasi and consider his "Mastering Server" books essential reading since the days of Server 2000. However, this book has a whole team of authors and it shows. The old books were readable from cover to cover - a bit of an unusual thing to do with a reference book admittedly, but Mark's style was so readable I did just that and picked up on some technologies I might have never otherwise known about and then use as a reference in the future.

This book suffers from the writing style, or lack of it, from the co-authors - one of whom as an unbelievably annoying habit of using the word "leverage" instead of "use".

E.g. rather than a group of disks you'd like to use in a storage pool, you have a group of disks you'd like to "leverage" in a storage pool. Likewise, with multiple networks cards I can "leverage" them together instead of just "using" them together as I have in the past. On and on....

So, useful as a reference book still but not a readable tome any more, which is a great shame.
on 8 August 2014
I echo the other user who was disappointed. Mark Minasi had a brilliant way of putting things lucidly with some witty but true digs at the po-faced Microsloth way of doing things. Everything was covered thoroughly but you could actually read his books and be amused as well as informed. NT4, 2000 and 2003 were spot on.
Sadly, this is not the case with this. Yes everything is there, but the focus, clarity and wit is missing.
I felt there was some confusion around the various headings, for example DNS and DHCP configuring, but overall its still a useful reference book.
Mark, you are missed!
on 12 June 2014
Not many R2 books about. But I really like this one. The page quality is a little thin, rips easily. But to be honest my IT books always end up tatty and covered in coffee.

The detail is good. And seems to cover everything I wanted. Although I did hope for a little more on WDS.

If you are thinking this or the unleashed beast, this is better in my opinion.
on 5 April 2015
This is a great reference book to have if you're studying for MS exams or just interested in finding out what is going on behind the scenes. Given its breadth, I'd recommend that exam-takers also purchase a more exam-specific book as well. Anything other than a 'Microsoft Official' book.
on 11 May 2016
Very useful book for studying the MCSE server 2012 and to keep as reference for use at work.
The writers seem to be experienced and know what they are talking about.

One slight drawback of this book is the quality of paper used to print on, its very thin and the ink is very light.

I fell this can make it difficult to read as you can sometimes see the next page through it
on 19 March 2015
It's taken me a few months to read this book and perform most of the practicals. I got almost all of the practicals to actually work as they were written with people using home / test lab environments in mind, with workarounds where needed. It's extremely well written and enjoyable to read.
on 22 November 2016
The book is very informative, however, the pages are quite thin. This is probably because there are so many of them, and the book is big enough already.

I would urge caution when using it as a study aid. I found that in the first few chapters, when setting up the lab servers, there were steps missing, especially when setting up the core installation. As a result of this I am not sure if the book is enough on its own to fulfil the criteria for the Microsoft exams.
on 30 January 2015
This book covers most of the important tasks you might do on the new Server 2012 R2 and I've used it to setup and test in my lab.
on 16 December 2016
Loved it, helping me to learn new stuff. Very detailed. Big and chunky tho, not good if you wanted to travel. buy a pdf copy or kinder version in that case.
on 20 October 2016
Contains very good information to learn Windows Server 2k12R2 and Windows centered network systems