Mastering Windows 2000 Server Hardcover – 27 Mar 2001
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Based on NT, Windows 2000 is nevertheless a different beast. The size of Mastering Windows 2000 Server reflects the many major new features--such as Active Directory, disk quotas, Distributed File System (Dfs) and Plug 'n' Play--as well as the many new management tools and interfaces you have to learn to administer it.
The general approach is to explain what a feature is for, how it works and how to implement and administer it--complete with caveats where appropriate. For example, the new MMC (administration centre) could be a lot better, and quotas--we discover--apply to users, not directories.
Mastering Windows 2000 Server is a fascinating read, helped by clear explanations and a logical topic order. Installation is followed by the new management tools and interfaces so you can find your way around and Active Directory follows a huge new chapter on DNS, which underlies it but was less important in NT. Even better, the book is on the included searchable CD. Interestingly, for appropriate subjects such as Active Directory, the authors provide different sections for newcomers to Win2000 and existing NT experts. This makes it easier for both groups to come to terms with major paradigm shifts.
Microsoft should consider including Mastering Windows 2000 Server with every copy of the software. It's far more useful than the paper, local or online guides provided. In fact, buy it before you buy the software. --Steve Patient
From the Back Cover
The ONLY Windows 2000 Resource You Need Now With a New Emphasis on Security!
The #1 choice of Windows administrators, Mastering Windows 2000 Server gives you all the conceptual and practical information you need to get the most out of Microsoft s flagship network operating system. This is the premier resource for configuring, administering, and tuning Windows 2000 Server as part of a corporate enterprise network. You can depend on it for clear, authoritative instruction in hundreds of techniques that will make your work easier and your job more secure.
- Installing Windows 2000
- Configuring IP, DHCP, WINS, and DNS to achieve the right foundation for your network
- Building and managing domains with Active Directory
- Controlling hundreds, even thousands, of workstations with group policies
- Prebuilding and delivering complete workstation images with Remote Installation Services
- Deploying applications throughout the enterprise with Microsoft Installer
- Understanding advanced DNS design and troubleshooting to keep your domains secure and running
- Improving network resource accessibility with Dfs, Web folders, shared printers, and Web printing
- Using Windows 2000 to share Internet Connections
- Tuning and monitoring your network
- Securing your network with new coverage of IPSec, certificates, security templates, simplified hotfix installations, auditing, and more
- Offering Web content with Internet Information Services 5
If improving the real–world performance of your network is the bottom line, this book delivers the goods. It shows you how to design and manage a multiple–platform network, build a Windows–based intranet, find the right data backup strategy, prevent and recover from disasters, and much more. There s no end to what you ll accomplish with practical, step–by–step instruction from the expert who has actually done it all on live networks! --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title. See all Product description
Top customer reviews
All in all though, an excellent book.
The chapters on Installation, TCP/IP, DNS, Active Directory, and Creating and Managing Users are alone more than a bargain to buy this book. Rest of them are absolutely bonus stuff.
If you are new to Windows 2000 , read it. If you are new to networking, read it. If you are new to computing, read it. If you are new to nothing, still read it. It so fantastic. It is my best buy ever.
A MUST HAVE BOOK for Windows 2000 Server.
The book also contains some excellent time savers. Although I'd already implemented it, there is a good section on using system (or group) policies to do client drive mappings. It also contains good detail about scripting application setup and other truly useful network management tasks.
It contains a good chapter on automating Windows 2000 Pro client setups. This, combined with my own documentation..., is really all you need to know on the subject.
I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone managing an NT or 2000 network, and especially to those with a mixture.
Fantastic - it covers exacatly what I want in great depth, giving 'howto' as well as reference and troubleshooting information.
I've found so much else that there is to do with W2K Server in the last twelve hours since I first looked at the book. A definite recommendation for those wanting to learn more about W2K server and Active Directory.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Information Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Operating Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Hardware
- Books > Computing & Internet > Microsoft Windows > Operating Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Network Topics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Microsoft Windows