Mastering Visual Basic.NET Paperback – 7 Jan 2002
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
VB Programmers: Get in Step with .NET
With the introduction of Visual Basic .NET, VB transcends its traditional second–class status to become a full–fledged citizen of the object–oriented programming, letting you access the full power of the Windows platform for the first time. Written bythe author of the best–selling Mastering Visual Basic 6 this all–new edition is the resource you need to make a successful transition to .NET. Comprising in–depth explanations, practical examples, and handy reference information, its coverage includes:
- Mastering the new Windows Forms Designer and controls
- Building dynamic forms
- Using powerful Framework classes such as ArrayLists and HashTables
- Persisting objects to disk files
- Handling graphics and printing
- Achieving robustness via structured exception handling and debugging
- Developing your own classes and extending existing ones via inheritance
- Building custom Windows controls
- Building menus and list controls with custom–drawn items
- Using ADO.NET to build disconnected, distributed applications
- Using SQL queries and stored procedures with ADO.NET
- Facilitating database programming with the visual database tools
- Building web applications with ASP.NET and the rich web controls
- Designing web applications to access databases
- Using the DataGrid and DataList web controls
- Building XML web services to use with Windows and web applications
- Special topics like the Multiple Document Interface and powerful recursive programming techniques
About the Author
Evangelos Petroutsos is a computer engineer who gained much of his experience at the California Institute of Technology and MCI. Currently, he writes computer books and works as a computer communications consultant. He has authored and co–authored dozens of programming titles, including the best–selling Mastering Visual Basic 6, Mastering Database Programming with Visual Basic, and Visual Basic 6 Developer′s Handbook, all from Sybex. A Visual Basic programmer since version 1, Evangelos has taught numerous VB courses and worked as a consultant on many VB projects.
Top Customer Reviews
The book covers all areas of the VB.net framework, including the area I was most interested in (Inheritence/polymorhism). The areas covered are written in a clear concise manner with fully explained examples. I read sections of the book whilst on holiday and fully understood the lessons contained without writing a single line of code.
Technically the book is great, although it could have a bit more information about the .Net framework, having said this, no language can be learnt properly from a single book.
This book has become the technical foundation of my .Net collection a "must have" if you like.
I would personally recommend you have a working knowledge of VB5/6 prior to purchasing this book.
If you are a VB5/6 programmer and want to transition to VB.NET get this book!!
If you have no experience of Visual Basic, or the time/patience to investigate, this book will lose you. Whatever you do, do not browse it without a keyboard nearby. His theory and code do make sense, but unfortunately not necessarily the one now settled on by Microsoft. I would not recommend this title.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Microsoft Windows
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development