Massively Multiplayer Game Development (Charles River Media Game Development) Hardcover – 1 Feb 2003
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Instead what you get is a collection of light weight articles on minor topics that you could easily gather information on from the web (eg an intro to SQL programming) and optimistic hype for some Python libraries.
A few articles (notably from authors at Maxis and Microsoft) are relevant and competent, but you could easily have googled the same info for free.
Its a book about how to design a MMPORG (Mass Online Multiplayer Game) It is well written, by different known authors in this bussiness explaining the need of good design but also a good foreward knowledge of what you need to make a product succesfull.
I gave it 4 stars cause its a design book, and i expect a programming book so the title maybe misleading, in my first read it looked like an design book explaining techniques on how to improve the code but also howto envision the server/client software.
Great book for people who know UML and C++
a definitive must for any aspiting MMPORG programmer
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
So, do I recommend this book? Yes. Knowing the book as I do now, I would still have purchased it, however this may be one that you want to look through somewhat carefully at a local bookstore prior to purchasing. Expect to have to expend considerable effort when developing code based on portions of the book as you will progress along merrily based on the descriptions only to hit a roadblock in the code based on an incomplete or completely missing description of a critical portion of the topic. This book is definitely for already competent developers/designers, though you should already be prior to attempting to craft a MMOG anyway.
This book will likely float between 2 and 5 stars depending on the reader.
Best of luck to all!
I think the main merit of this book is that many different topics are in one space and the reader gets an overview and some ideas that help start one's own research.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Graphic Design
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Careers
- Books > Computing & Internet > PC & Video Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Functional Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Architecture
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Hobbies & Games