A Massage Therapist's Guide to Pathology Hardcover – 1 Dec 1998
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
Although a fairly hefty tome I'm delighted to see that unlike the valuable but often dry A+P 'almost bible' of Tortorro and Grabowski this is written rather well, and is 'need to know' pathology for body workers - it really IS 'a massage therapist's guide', not an osteopaths, not a junior houseman's, and as such suits me splendidly. I'm also impressed by an extensive, chapter based bibliography which is particularly useful in that it cites web sites where further information can be found.
This book really cuts to the chase, explaining a wealth of common (and not so common) presentations, explaining the rationale behind presentations, detailing pharmacological treatment approaches, comparing and contrasting similar presentations and indicating the advisability of massage.
Whilst some reviews have expressed disappointment that detailed massage techniques are not offered - this book is already a hefty 700 pages, and around A4 in size, so it can't be expected to do everything it does and everything else as well.
Perhaps Ms Werner should be persuaded to write a companion volume with detailed specific techniques linked with certain conditions - though much can be gleaned from various remedial massage technique books already in the market.
The chapters are each devoted to a system of the body, with extensive indexing and a quick reference chart, so information can be accessed easily and accurately. The question and answer sections, designed to revise each chapter, are of value to qualified practitioners and students alike, to ensure the material learned has been retained and understood.
This is not a practical massage manual, nor is it designed to be, but a little more detail of how particular massage techniques could be applied to different conditions might have been helpful.
In summary, this is an invaluable reference work for massage therapists, and I know my copy will be very well used!
The information is easy to read, with lots of great illustrations and pictures. I particularly like the pathology in brief, so that if you have a client on the phone or with you, then you can get the answer quickly if massage will benefit the client or not.
I would definitely recommend getting this book and I regularly use it in my busy practice - Well done Ruth!
It gives very detailed information regarding different illnesses and conditions and whether massage is recommended or even possible with certain conditions. I think it will be very useful in dealing with clients with differing needs and health conditions.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Complementary Medicine > Massage > Reflexology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Complementary Medicine > Massage > Therapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Fitness & Exercise > Massage
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Occupational Therapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Ancillary Services > Physiotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Nursing
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Pathology
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Counselling & Therapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Physiotherapy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Physiotherapy