- Also check our best rated Children’s Book reviews
Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy The Ultimate Guide to the Cosmic Outlaws Hardcover – 30 Mar 2017
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Boldly coloured and broken down by character, there's a lot for a casual fan to wrap their noggin around. (Total Film)
In all honesty, if you are a Marvel fan, even a casual one, this guide is a must-buy, if only to fully immerse yourself in Guardian lore. Page after page of sumptuous artwork shows just how beloved these characters and their galactic adventures have become. (Starburst)
An informative, well-designed guide to the outlaws' tales. (Sci-Fi Bulletin)
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This 200 page, oversized hardback volume catalogues the entire comic book history of the Guardians of the Galaxy and includes:
- Foreword provided by Dan Abnett - the man who invented the modern version of the team that went on to cinematic fame.
- A timeline of the history of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Profiles on dozens of key characters involved in the franchise, from the original team created in 1969, to the current team that includes the likes of well known members like Star Lord, Drax, and Groot, to more obscure members such as Jack Flag and Mantis.
- Profiles on the many enemies of the Guardians of the Galaxy, including Blastaar, the Slaughter Squad, Thanos, and Korvac.
- Profiles on allies, such as the Starjammers and Galactic Guardians
- Profiles on the many alien species encountered by the Guardians, such as the Shiiar, Kree, Badoon, the Inhumans, and the Stark.
- Focus on key stories, such as 'Annihilation;, 'Annihilation: Conquest', 'Secret Invasion', and 'War of Kings'.
- Focus on key themes, and key comics from the history of the franchise.
Each entry is accompanied by numerous full colour images, information on origins and powers, and various other trivia.
The one thing that the book DOESNT have is any information relating to the popular series of Marvel movies involving the team, which may be the main reason a lot of people would be tempted to pick it up, and this isnt helped by a somewhat misleading cover image that suggests this book may relate to the movie, rather than purely to the comic book series.
Other than that, this is an excellent coffee table-style book, that is an indespensible read for anyone wanting to learn more about the Guardians of the Galaxy and their adventures.
The team that we know and love today only formed in 2008; there were earlier teams of the same name, starting back in 1969 – which I remember – and then later offshoots in the 1970s. I was away from comics in the 1990s, having given up after one too many dangling plot threads in the X-Men and one too many Crises in Dc Comics, and so missed the ‘final’ version of the old team, but was there for the new-look team of 2008 (albeit in “graphic novel” collected form), and this was far and away one of the best cosmic series produced by Marvel, which has influenced Marvel’s comics to this day, and is the team that the films are inspired by.
This is an excellent study of the various teams, characters and storylines that add up to the Guardians of the Galaxy, and is superbly illustrated. If you want to know who is who and how they got there, this is the book for you.
Note that this book is about the comic-book version of the Guardians. If you have been impressed by the cosmic scope of the films, then take a look at this, and be impressed by just how much MORE cosmic the comic-book is! And the characters are even funnier, too.
Note also - I have my local library’s copy in front of me as I type…
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com