Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.99|
Save £3.12 (24%)
Marriage and Morals (Routledge Classics) Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Actually, I see from my annotations that I HAVE read this before (!) so I can commune with my rather more earnest younger self (who never got beyond two Russell titles, all those years ago) as well as with Bertie, the absence of whose voice, in this cruel, obscurantist and plain dumb age, is felt more than ever. I see this work has had SEVENTEEN positive reviews on amazon.com with 2 negatives. Deserves to be in the library of every serious thinker, says one (Russell's apparently the author most quoted by university students after Chomsky). We can only muster ONE other (4 star) review. What's with us guys?
* Page 18. On the next, 'the exhortations of moralists.. were as ineffective then [in ancient Rome] as they are now', while the chapter drily titled Christian Ethics (it's about sex) is a hoot. Catholics tolerated fornication and adultery (which could be absolved) but forbade divorce, while Protestants were the other way round. The result is the hypocritical pragmatic muddle we see today - neither sacrament nor exactly free-for-all
The book is, in many ways, years ahead of its time, and much of what Russell predicts bears great relevance to today's society, perhaps even more so than when it was written.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
BUT - once I continued reading, this book struck me many times with the need to quote it. It carries profound messages, some that resonate loudly today. The world needs more Bertrands, we need more people critically thinking, more people inquiring.
If you venture to read this book, I do not think you will be disappointed, it's very insightful, open-minded, and makes very profound claims which are very rational. It's a breath of fresh air compared to all of the dogmatic, ignorant and closed-mindedness that we're confronted with today.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > Philosophers
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Family & Social Groups
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Ethics & Morality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology