on 22 February 2012
4.5*

Eleven year old Maddie suffers physical abuse at the hands of her stepfather every time he decides to drink himself into oblivion. Her only escape are the woods behind her house where she often runs to escape his belt, what ever the time of day....whatever the weather. Her saviour comes in the form of a tall dark haired man who always seems to know when she needs him, he carries her sleeping battered form to safety without saying a word then disappears not to be seen again until the next time she needs him. This pattern continues for seven years. When Maddie is 18 her life is endangered by loan sharks that her Step-father owes money to and the help of the unnamed stranger is more important than ever but this time the safe place is his home, but is she really safer with him?..........

This book without doubt caught my interest right from the first page, in my first sitting I had only intended to read the first chapter to get an idea of how the book read........I was almost ¾'s of my way through the book by the time I fell asleep at 3am! Although parts of the plot made me go `aaarrrgghh that wouldn't happen' overall I really enjoyed the story.

Gareth is a tall, dark, rugged but handsome guy with a dark secret, he's quiet and keeps himself to himself and has that brooding side to his personality that attracts women to him. Its not surprising that Maddie would fall for him, he'd saved her life more than once and he was pretty hot! There was a side to him that I didn't like, sometimes he took advantage of Maddie and her naivety and he even became quite rough frightening her at times which, for me, made him lose some of his appeal.

Maddie isn't a very good student, she has no friends (that we know of) and as well as suffering at the hands of her step-father at home, she is ridiculed and bullied at school. She is definitely not a meek and mild girl though and has been in trouble with the police as a result of her retaliation to the girls who goad her. This doesn't stop me from pitying her and wondering how in such a small community her plight goes undiscovered.

It was interesting to watch the relationship between the two grow. Gareth already knew what he wanted from Maddie but didn't want to rush her or frighten her off, so he with-held information about himself and what needed to happen and I didn't like that! I have to say though that even with the parts of the plot that annoyed me I was still hooked to the book, fully enjoying it right to the very end.

I did notice a few grammatical errors towards the end of the novel but they were only simple mistakes, missing words or the wrong tense which are all easily fixable and didn't take away my enjoyment of this werewolf / human love story.

Copy supplied for review
on 18 May 2012
I really enjoyed this book it was clear from the get go that Maddy's life was not an easy one and that the beatings she endured at the hands of her stepfather were only bearable when she would run in to the forest to get away from him and this intriguing stranger is always there for her just when she needs him as she grows up it becomes something she depends on and comes to love the man she knows little about. Gareth being a cast out lone wolf from his previous pack settles in a new town and takes run in the forest and upon hearing the cries of a frightened girl goes to help and from that moment on he knew he would never be the same again. I loved this book the relationship between Maddy and Gareth and the demands of building a pack make for interesting and dangerous things for Maddy and Gareth but their determination and love is worth it albeit with some bumps along the way. I highly reccomend this book.
on 14 August 2013
*cough* *cough**cough* ..... some spoilers....

If you like me read the first two books of the cats eye chronicles and thought "hey I want to read more of this author's books, must be similar I'll buy the 2 books in the wolves of black river series and I'm sure I'll enjoy them." Well make sure you read this review first!

Let me make this clear these books are very very adult and explicit. I was NOT expecting that what so ever! Really it's not my cup of tea and I did not like the almost being raped parts, the fact that "no" was said and it didn't seem to matter or the fact the guy was a lot older! Ok the last one's not a biggy I believe in love having no age barriers but he was 28 and she just turned 18 it's a bit weird if he was maybe 5 years younger... I just found that a bit creepy.

Because I had already bought the two books outright before I realised this well.... I have issues.... I need to read what I have. I can't stop half way.

So the plot was quite good I just didn't like the course language or any of the other stuff.... it's my own opinion I'm not having a go at the author or anything as I like her other works I just thought at times some of the topics were a bit too dark for me.
on 30 April 2013
This was a good book not a bad start to a series if u enjoy passion n fire wiv a little bit of ruggedness then it's a must read enjoy
on 24 March 2014
Absolutely brilliant loved this so much, T.L Shreffer has such a wonderful way of writing, the book is such an easy rasd and there is enough action an tension to keep you turning those pages... sorry but i never give the story away.... by all means make your own opinion that's what i do......
on 15 March 2015
After reading the cats eye chronicles I thought I'd give this a go. I didn't really like it. The romance between Gareth + Maddy was awkward and forced at times. I didn't warm to Gareth. I thought it was well written and a good story but uncomfortable reading at times.
on 8 October 2013
not as good as some of the other stuff by the same author which I reviewed - had lots more sex in and the names were not used consistenyl throughout which was a bit annoying (you know that feeling when you want to correct a spelling and so on)
on 16 November 2014