on 3 March 2013
The 5040 was to replace a dying Marantz 6010SE. Money was tight and amp was to drive a pair of MA S8's, big floorstanders although in modest sized room. I was concerned the 5040 would not have enough power to drive the S8's. I also did not want a big powerful amp and was far more concerned about clarity, separation and soundstage. The amp scores well in all of these areas and a definite improvement on the 6010SE, although with a lighter, faster and more subtle sound. Very satisfied. In passing one issue for me was a decent phono stage and it scores well on this as a bonus.
on 30 October 2014
crap
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 September 2013
Our other trusty amplifier gave up the ghost one day and my husband had read about this Marantz amplifier and said we should buy it. We live in France where these sorts of things seem to cost a lot of money. We went to our local Electrical shop and noted the price they were asking and it did seem to be a lot. Anyway I had the brainwave to look on Amazon and it was substantially cheaper even with the postage costs which were very reasonable. We got it in around 3 days I think and have been absolutely delighted with the Amplifier ever since. It gives great sound quality and adds a lot to those programmes we watch and especially the dvds etc. Brilliant. We wouldn't be without it.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 January 2013
Arrived next day, got it connected in 30 seconds mostly thanks to the incredibly simple speaker cable posts and wacked it on connected to my PC's M-audio soundcard and into my Mourdant Shorts.

The sound is incredibly clear and spacious, a bit clinical compared to my Cambridge Audio amp but handles fast music such as d&b a lot better and everything sounds a lot better separated, can really hear an improvement in the treble if not as warm down the bottom end. It's ten times better sounding than the old Sony amp it's replacing, not that hard though.

Seems well built, maybe not as bomb proof as my Cambridge Audio amp, but then not many amps at this price point are. Plenty sturdy enough to sit in my living room though and it certainly looks the part, proper smart looking bit of kit.

I tried using the loudness button but tbh it doesn't need it if you're listening at decent volumes (loud). Might use it at lower volumes, just sounds messy if it's anything over a quarter up though. The tone pots don't need touching either if the source you're listening to is decent. Probably gonna leave it on source direct as it sounds fine as it is.

Really impressed, now to justify getting the matching CD player unit.
on 2 January 2014
An Excellent amp, the sound separation is really good, I noticed the difference as soon as I spun my 1st vinyl, my usual setup was an aging technics midi system, although good, was feeling its age.
I have this set up with the wharfedale diamond 9.1s and the project elemental and it is amazing, just put the faith back into analogue, so much so that I have also just purchased an Nakamichi tape deck. Here's to loving all things old, but with a modern twist!!!!
on 30 January 2014
I not sure paying nearly twice as much for the Pm6005 is worth it i think personaly i can live without the digital out every thing else seems similar i know this has 10 w less power than the Pm6005 but the same band width and as i will be using Q a 2020i i think this would be more than enough to power them any other reasons why not to purchase this over the Pm6005 please let me know ?
on 20 June 2014
Having teamed this piece of kit up with good quality kit, including cables, speakers, stands and rack, I am blown away by the soundstage and quality of playback. Would recommend to anyone. From here on in, small increases in quality sound will cost a lot more.
on 8 January 2014
Does what it says in the specification at a reasonable price. It is the heart of the audio part of my home computer set up, enabling me to drive some decent bookshelf speakers, and to feed phono output into the pc for digitising vinyl.
on 17 August 2013
I use it with my iPod and iPhone superb sound all ypu need is some reasonable speakers, you can play the iPods on a low volume and turn the amp up so the sound doesn't get distorted and the volume is more than you can cope with.
on 19 July 2014
After a lot of review readings here and there, I came across this amplifier which according to what I know about the specs should have been a good option for what I needed for that price,and I am listening from Chopin to some new kind of rap music, in all cases the level of the bass sound is vital.. I was hesitating between this one , the yamaha A S 500. and the Pioneer A 30.. Still hearing good old powerful lamp amps and amps from the 70's,80's, leak,marantz ,Harmann Kardon, Technics ,Pioneer and so on, all those consuming between 500 up to 1200 watt for one Pioneer !! still having some good old fashion speakers at home with a frequency from 20 Hz up to 35 kHz,, with real cabinet in real nice wood, from the times where things were meant to last a bit more than a month :-) I hoped for good sound. Actually it does match what I hoped for, and as written by many here, any poor recording now becomes unbearable to listen to, which is more than fine for me. I am using more the "get up and turn the volume yourself dude" now, than the remote...It is very powerful but of course, for my 30 square meter room , it is out of question to use it at full volume , that would be impossible....the youngest think that the sound is like in a club but honestly all this depends as well on the speakers' quality....
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse