Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Mara-Serengeti captures the essence of living in the Mara-Serengeti region in a way that you would not experience in a dozen safaris to Africa. The images of predators, prey, wildlife migrations, and the Masai bring you close up during moments of blazing color in the sky and dramatic action in the grasslands. The images are improved by thoughtful essays that draw on the photographers' many years of experience with these subjects.
The animal photographs are mostly grouped by subject and include lions, leopards, zebras, wart hogs, impalas, cheetahs, wildebeest, hyenas, crocodiles, vultures, and wild dogs. The subjects are usually of animal families, migration, killing, and eating in often symbolic settings for these activities. The Masai images come at the book's end, sort of completing the evolutionary progression of the food chain.
You probably have heard of the Serengeti. It's a vast grassland in Tanzania, and is now protected as the Serengeti National Park there. The Masai Mara National Reserve is in neighboring Kenya, and the two lands are connected geographically, if not politically. A map in the book will display all of this for you. This site is the area where humans probably first walked the face of the Earth, and the dwindling of these remarkable spaces marks the potential for us to lose our ability to visualize our roots.
The name, Serengeti, in Masai means "land of endless space." The closest we have to this habitat in the United States that I have seen is the brief enclosure in the wild animal park that the San Diego zoo maintains near Escondido, California.
The action photographs impressed me the most. These show predators literally flying and spinning in the air just before they land while the terrorized prey wheels desperately away. The action is captured almost like a key play in a sporting event. That's pretty typical of the photography here. The images emphasize action and perspectives that you do not yet have, and this book will add wonderfully to your sense of the special nature of the grasslands of Africa.
After you have finished expanding your vision of natural selection, I suggest that you think about the ways that our lives are enhanced by understanding our origins and how our lives are not. How can we draw inspiration from nature and stand in our most meaningful role?
Look for what few have seen . . . always! Truth will emerge from your trial.
on 14 March 2002
I recently purchased this book through Amazon and I am very pleased with my purchase. It is full of breath taking pictures. It has taken pride of place in my many varied collection of books.
on 25 June 2001
I have keenly followed the work of Jonathan Scott,for many years.
In the crowded field of African wildlife photography, he consistently excells with exceptional results amongst the best images taken by any current working wildlife photographer.
The has lived in the Massai Mara for many years, and knows it intamely.
His work has been consistently brillant and beautiful.
Anyone wondering if they should buy this book, should not give it a second thought. There is a collecting of unquestionably superd animal and landscape photograph to delight the senses. Although many of them are edited highlights from previous books, there are also numerous new images.
A great benefit for those who like African painted wolves, is a considerable collection of photographs, from his previous and now unobtainable book.
As every there is also good line drawings, and intelligent and well written text, and thoughtful quotes at the start of each chapter.
There is a very interesting chapter on the life of the Massai.
on 18 April 2008
If you love Big Cat Diary you'll love the stunning photography of wildlife in this quality book - the best I've ever seen
on 27 April 2014
Whilst not absolutely packed with photos, this is no coffe table book, but a beautiful guide to the Mara.
Great production of great pictures with excellent helpful text.
This book was bought as a gift and really hit the mark.
Delivery was really quick and the book was well protected. Recommended.
I went to the suppliers website - more great books.
on 12 September 2011
Some of the most beautiful photos of the splendid animals of Africa by people you know have spent a lot of time gazing lovingly at lions. I am proud to have it on my coffee table. I love this book
on 20 December 2012
Returned in Sept 2012 from a Safari in Masi Mara, which was incredible. Although we returnrd with 100's of wonderful photos, I wanted a good quality book with amazing photos in as a christmas gift for my husband. I ordered this without seeing it ( a risk ) but was guided by the reviews, and the fact I love Jonothan & Angie Scott, so knew their work would be the best. I have had a quick glance at the book, and I am not dissapointed, the quality & composition of the images are 1st class, so I am confident it will be a much loved gift.
If in doubt, dont be, you will love it.
on 15 December 2010
This book is jam packed with beautiful pictures. Anyone with a love for or a plan to go to Africa to see the wildlife will enjoy this.