on 19 April 2001
This is a really glossy book. As I opened the...packaging to reveal the ultra modern abstract cover I couldn't wait to get into the content. I wasn't disappointed by the glossy cover - even more glossy and eye catching images awaited me inside.
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD. The book asks the question "Why do we want to map web sites?, However we never really get a clear answer to this question. There are fantastic mapping examples, but does anyone (users or designers) benefit from architectural visualisation, or would index structuring serve us better? After all, the reason traditional maps exist is that there are physical limitations placed on us when navigating geographic space. Whereas when using electronic mediums we have no such limitations.
The book fails to address this key issue; Not HOW we should represent sites graphically, but IF we should do so. And if that technique is appropriate under what circumstances and finally in what manner.
Overall I recommend the book as it has some outstanding examples of the genre and, like it or not, clients love this type of glitzy presentation. So if you are going to be inspired then be inspired by the best.
on 12 March 2001
This book is a nice coffee table book for clients to flick through while in reception, and it certainly has some very cool pictures and diagrams for graphic designers to look at, but the text is pretty much just filler. If you are looking for how to clearly map websites pick up a book on Information Architecture instead. Also the use of isometric projection for sitemaps is extremely questionable.
on 27 May 2011
The product provides a great assortment of examples and explanations about site mapping more than I thought it would. Its given me a lot of inspiration and ideas. The only thing I would say is it lacks some of the more finer detail but overall very pleased with this book.
on 12 March 2001
this glossy book is intelligent, illuminating and filled with the sort of examples that web designers want to hear about.
it deals with the theory behind mapping, the use of mapping in project planning, case studies of web site maps (e.g. 7 generations of the macromedia site map) and data driven site maps.
it's nicely presented in easy to digest bite-sized chunks, so leave it in the toilet and everyone in the office can benefit.