- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Find Your Way Home--Bestselling Sat NavsPlan ahead and avoid traffic jams with one of our bestselling sat navs from top brands including TomTom and Garmin. We also stock a great range of up-to-date and fully-routable maps for your device, including popular destinations such as France, Portugal, North America and Scotland.
- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
Mapping London: Making Sense of the City Hardcover – 1 Sep 2007
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
''A mesmerising journey through the city.'' --The Telegraph
''Can be read for hours on end with pleasure [...] A virtual treasure trove in maps of the world's most interesting city.'' --The Architectural Review
''This beautifully illustrated book will have you spellbound.'' - Where London ''Lovingly researched and compiled by architect Simon Foxell [...] Mapping London is an important historical journey, a captivating portrait that details - from so many perspectives - the evolution of one of the most fascinating cities in the world.'' --Canadian Architect Magazine
Top customer reviews
It is an ambitious undertaking to publish a book like this, and Simon Foxell has certainly done justice to his topic. From the famous (eg Hollar's Panorama) to the obscure, the maps are presented in full colour with extended captions. Foxell provides historical context and analyses the role of maps and the information they provide. Open the book to any page, and you'll find something to delight your eyes and tickle your brain.
A great gift for your favourite London-ophile (if that's even a word!).
I would have appreciated the inclusion of enlargements of selected areas of some of the maps as they would have been of benefit: showing entire maps on a single page didn't always make it possible to appreciate the level of detail within them.
However, this is a genuinely beautiful book and I thoroughly recommend it.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > History > Social & Cultural > Local & Urban > London
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > History
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Reference > History
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Atlases & Maps > Special Interests > Road & Car