Mao: The Unknown Story Paperback – 4 Jan 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The first great political biography of the twenty-first century" (Frank Johnson Spectator)
"This is a bombshell of a book... Jung Chang and Jon Halliday have done this extraordinary country a huge service with this book, which will one day be read as widely within China as it will deservedly be in the outside world" (Chris Patten The Times)
"Chang and Halliday cast new and revealing light on nearly every episode in Mao's tumultuous life... Magnificent... It is a stupendous work" (Michael Yahuda Guardian)
"Devastating... Awesome... Mesmerising... The most powerful, compelling and revealing political biography of modern times. Few books are destined to change history, but this one will" (George Walden Daily Mail)
"A triumph. It is a mesmerising portrait of tyranny, degeneracy, mass murder and promiscuity, a barrage of revisionist bombshells, and a superb piece of research. This is the first intimate, political biography of the greatest monster of them all" (Simon Sebag Montefiore Sunday Times)
The most authoritative life of Mao ever written, by the bestselling author of Wild Swans, Jung Chang and her husband, Jon Halliday.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
As a history graduate of Oxford and a post-graduate at Peking University, I would say this book fails to live up to its promise of representing a historical, truthful Mao. Partial selection of materials in favour of one's argument is no honest history, no matter how abundant the footnotes may seem. For those who can read Chinese, do read some Chinese books for a more balanced perspective. For those who cannot, Philip Short's is a far better (if no less critical) alternative.
The last two hundred pages of this 900+ page book contains list after list of sources, references, bibliographies of chinese and non-chinese sources, interviewee lists, author notes, archives - and this is outside of the voluminous foot-notes.
The content of the book will speak for itself to those who care to read it. The main purpose of my review is to offer some counterbalance to reviewers who try to paint this work as some self-interested, whimsical, propagandist polemic. This book is a great wall of verifiable fact built brick upon brick of reliably sourced information.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Unbelievably detailed book, a blow by blow account of the indoctrination, subversion and destruction of the Chinese culture and people, Mao a true Monster tortured and killed over... Read morePublished 8 hours ago by Kenneth L.
A very interesting book on the life of Mao. Well researched biography which exposes the myths built up about Mao.Published 5 months ago by ANDREW H MCDOUGALL
This book is clearly thoroughly researched. Sadly, the praise stops there. The author fails to place this research within any sort of objective, analytical framework, which is... Read morePublished 5 months ago by George Davison
A detailed and compelling narrative - that continues in China to this day.
When I stood in Tiananmen Square in Beijing (2009), talking to a man my age still in his Red Guard... Read more
A must read for any one who wants to understand the political drivers of modern China. But then so is all of the books by Jung Chang! I await a decade for each of her books.. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Wahalla
Very good book for anyone studying modern china, Chang has a strong tie to China and also strong views of the leader MaoPublished 8 months ago by Jessica
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > China
- Books > Biography > Political > Countries & Regions
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > China
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > China
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Far East
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Structure & Processes > Constitution: Government & the State