Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 10 January 2008
The Murray books (which start with "A Wrinkle in Time") are all excellent young adults' books, blending science fiction, fantasy and serious themes relating to the world in which we find ourselves. "Many Waters" is, in some ways, the most adult of the books. In some ways it is also the most fantasy-ful (I know that fantastic is the correct word, but it would be misunderstood) and also the most "factual", strangely enough.

L'Engle largely takes the antediluvian Bible history seriously, and seeks to envisage the world in which it takes place. Her answer isn't consistent with what many creationists would suggest, but it is coherent and plausible. She plumps for the theologically well-known idea that angels take a physical form, and are identifiable to the humans, and also explores the theologically solid idea that the two family lines - Cain's and Seth's - respond in very different ways to God.

The Murray twins find themselves having travelled back in time, and need to return home before they get caught up in Noah's flood. Superimposed on this plot, the story gently explores the idea of how a supposedly loving God could destroy the earth with a flood.
on 24 August 1998
Many Waters, sequel to A Wrinkle in Time, is a great story by Madeline L'Engle. This science fiction book features two twin boys: Sandy and Dennys Murry. Sandy and Dennys Murry have two scientists for parents and two other siblings- Meg, their older college sister, and Charles Wallace, their smart but younger brother. Both boys have blond hair and blue eyes. The setting of the story is the twins' house and a desert. In the story Sandy and Dennys go into their mother's lab. But unfortunately the twins don't see the "EXPERIMENT IN PROGRESS: PLEASE KEEP OUT" sign until it's too late, and Sandy and Dennys are whisked away to a desert. Then they learn that many waters are coming to flood the desert, and they can't get home! My favorite scene in the book is when Sandy and Dennys first see the unicorn because I would have liked to have been there. My favorite character in the book is Sandy because he never gets disappointed and is always ready for anything. I would recommend this book because in the book all the complicated science words were explained and it's just plain good! On a scale of one to ten I would rate Many Waters a ten because it's captivating and fun to read!
on 2 August 1997
I really enjoyed reading this book. I NEVER reread books, and I've read this one 4 times. I found it fascinating to read Exodus and see how accurate the book's Biblical facts were. If you like Madeleine L'Engle books, you'll love this one. A farely quick read and surely worth buying! READ IT!!!!!!!
on 25 February 2017
This is about Dennys and Sandy Murry, who appear as minor characters in the other 'Time Quintet' books. They are considered the ordinary, practical people in their family, as they enjoy sports and gardening rather than obscure scientific theories.

The story starts when the twins access their father’s computer and are suddenly transported to a very hot climate. They have no idea where (or when) they are, although it quickly becomes obvious to the reader as they meet people whose names are familiar from a Bible history context.

The novel is primarily historical fiction with some low-key fantasy which is almost indistinguishable from supernatural elements. Seraphim and nephilim mix with humans. Unicorns appear when summoned, and mammoths, smaller than their name implies, function as family pets.

L’Engle has created a believable world, based in an oasis, with people living in tents. Sandy and Dennys, at first considered alien giants, are gradually drawn into the community, and are both attracted to the same girl. Since this is the only book to involve the twins as major characters, it could easily be read as a standalone novel rather than as part of the series.

I thought the ending rather abrupt, and would have liked more about the twins’ family at the end, but it’s really my only minor complaint about what was other wise an excellent book. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The blend of history, fantasy and faith works extremely well, in my opinion, and could be read by anyone, whatever their belief (or lack thereof).

It’s not a book for younger children, but could be read by anyone from the age of about ten and upwards who enjoys intelligent historical fiction and doesn’t mind a bit of fantasy. It's not a long book and inevitably the characterisation and and conversations aren't particularly deep; yet I was caught up in the story, and could hardly put it down at times.

Highly recommended.
on 27 May 1999
This book was a welcome adventure for the twins. Not only did it have the same thrills of the other books in this set, but it had a more understandable sense. I loved the way that it intertwined with the characters from the Noah's ark story, without seeming too biblical. The ideas for the good and evil were portrayed in a more easily understood pattern this time. This is my favorite L'engle book.
on 17 July 2008
Madeleine L'Engle captured my imagination as a child when I read A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door and A Swiflty Tilting Planet. I have only just managed to read Many Waters and even at 27 L'Enlge still manages to capture my sense of wonder and amazement. The twins were always the sensible pair in the other books and it has been refreshing to read a different type of adventure that still includes particle physics but also contains biblical reference. Simply perfect.
on 21 May 1998
I read this book and loved every word. I was pulled inside the book while every magial and exiting thing happend. I was confused by the mystery, and was absorbed in the facts and details. I'd love to be in some place sunny now. (Not too hot) As soon as I read it, I told my friend who also loved it.
on 2 November 1997
Although I didn't like Many Waters as much of the rest of the murry books(a wrinkle in time, a swiftly tilty planet) this is a really good book! Madeleine L'Engles combination of Fact and Fiction is really cool. This is one book worth reading!
on 18 April 1998
Madeleine L'Engle combines unicorns, a desert, and Noah's Ark into one book. Keeps you on the edge and hard to put down at times.
on 25 July 1999
The Murry twins, Sandy and Dennys,were just trying to get some food when they are blasted into a time of many waters,the time of Noah and the ark...
In this book a serphin once said "Many waters can not quench love nor can floods drown it." Sandys and Dennysmust hope this pretains to them and their love Yalith also because when the rains comes and their not on the ark they can only hope...