Customer reviews

Manipulator [VINYL]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on 19 September 2014
This album is like a box of chocolates. Loads of different insides. In fact, for me, it's better, because I don't like any of the sickly fruit cremes, whereas with Manipulator, every track is a coffee/toffee/fudge/nut delight. Ridiculous metaphors and similes aside, this album is just so much fun.

Track after track, some loud with grinding or wailing guitars, some gentle with gorgeous harmonies; all with Ty Segall's laidback voice singing lyrics that, for me at least, are opening up with every fresh listen. It's pacy, exciting and so melodic. Even the grungiest songs suddenly soar with gorgeous tunes.

It reminds me of stuff I used to listen to on the Nuggets collections, or early Beck, or more recently Elephant 6 Collective bands, like Olivia Tremor Control. I haven't got any favourite tracks. I like all of it, every second. I've got several other cds by Ty Segall, they're all good. One will be in one style, another in another style. Manipulator succeeds for me better than all of them, specifically because of its diversity.

Something for everyone, but every one for me!
6 people found this helpful
on 5 November 2014
Most definitely the best thing I have heard in ages. There's a catchiness to the tunes and the production is sympathetic to the music. I guess you can hear a lot of influences within the album but it's definitely one that once you've heard it you'll want to put it straight back on again.
One person found this helpful
on 20 July 2015
Very nice album. Not an original note on it but hey, who cares. It blows away the blues on a Monday morning. The T.Rex element is great for us old f**kers!
on 18 September 2014
never heard of him before but this is fantastic!
on 31 October 2014
it took several playings to get into, but liked title track straight away. if your into guitar riffs you'll want to hear this.
One person found this helpful
on 7 July 2015
Brilliant album sounds great on cassette
on 26 June 2015
Garage rock with lots of seasoning from here there and everywhere. Love it.
on 27 October 2014
What a superb album. I love every track on it.
on 3 February 2016
A1
on 27 October 2014
One of this years best albums.Mix up a bit of T Rex,Hawkwind,Oasis, Beach Boys with sharp concise songwriting and this garage rock boy's done good ,locking up the garage and heading out onto the high street.Plus he likes his guitar and so do I( lots of it ) .Often new vinyl can sound a bit dodgy ,but this sounds warm and powerful .Why only four stars ,cos its just not quite there ,maybe could have cut a bit more fat off the bone by dropping out a couple of songs . But then again this guy sounds like he knows what he wants and I respect artists like that ,too few and far between .
2 people found this helpful