Colour: Black|Change

on 6 February 2012
We tried several "top" brands and a few in-between. It depends what your looking for in a baby harness really but our key deciding factor was that it had to be user friendly to put on when it's just you and baby. The other is that it has to be comfortable for baby & user alike, and simple to use.
If you have a baby boy it's hugely important that you get the right harness. He has to sit in it without any of the structure supporting his weight between the legs - very important you get this right for obvious health related reasons.
For a girl it's not such an important factor but worth considering as a comfort view.
The Manduca harness is easy to use, easy to put baby into and strap your baby safely and healthily for baby and you. Think of it as a rucksack in the way it's been designed. Any good rucksack will have a belt that will carry the bulk of the weight on your hips. This is exactly what the Manduca does.
The straps are easy to locate and put on. You have various choices' but for a newborn crossing them over your shoulders is the best and most secure way to do it. Your baby sits in it quite happily and there are no straps through the legs or around the baby itself, a simple but excellent design. Your baby is held against your chest and it's head is around your sternum level so it's easy to see their little face.
Our little boy loves it and goes to sleep readily in it - leaving you to go about your business round the house or go for a walk where a pram is not the practical option if the terrain is rough/bumpy.
The Manduca harness is quite expensive and will put most people off. Personally, we felt it was worth the extra money and having bought several others and returned them due to being uncomfortable, difficult to use if your on your own and not being baby-friendly with regards to the baby's health - especially for a little boy!
It doubles up to a child carrier and we've found it to be more than adequate in terms of it's durability and sturdiness - quality in a nutshell. It negates having to buy a child "rucksack-type" carrier as you baby grows up and should last you from newborn to 5 years old.
We're very happy with ours and would recommend it to friends or family quite happily.
You get what you pay for at the end of the day. Cheap is not cheerful with baby carriers.
on 18 May 2016
I bought this for my first baby when she was about 4 months old and am still using it for her at 2 and a 1/2 as well as for her sister. The waist and shoulder straps have a wide range of adjustment making it easy for people with different builds to all use. I have lent this carrier to many people to use with different body types, short, thin, tall, heavy and all of them have found it easy to adjust and comfortable to wear. I have washed it in the washing machine a few times and it held up fine but I would recommend doing it regularly and spot cleaning is usually good enough. The built in infant insert is a simple snap job but stays in place securely. I have used it for back and front carries but only tried side once as not my favourite position. It was comfortable in both positions as well as fairly trivial to switch between the two. If adjusted correctly, even an older child feels lighter than some backpacks and can be carried on hikes or for most of the day without causing pain or discomfort. The fold away hood is useful for when sleeping or to keep sun off but unless you are super flexible you will not be able to get it out of the storage section yourself when child is on your back. I just leave it out if the pouch hanging down the back of the carrier as it is still fully attached it is just not tucked away neatly and then I can reach it on my own. A fantastic buy and we'll worth the investment
on 13 November 2012
we had a sling first which was a great idea for carrying a baby at home but not for long trips when we had to put a baby in and out (like airports).
Advantages:
very stable and supportive for a baby
the weight of a baby is well distributed when straps are adjusted

Disadvantages:
not all of the buckles can be adjusted with a baby in a carrier
the instert for a newborn is quite uncomfortable for an older baby (we cut it off)
a bit pricey
on 26 May 2012
Brilliant! I bought this carrier when my daughter was 6 months old as her previous baby bjorn style front carrier was getting too heavy. I wish I'd had the Manduca from the start! My baby weighs 9 kg but this carrier still feels very comfy on the front. It is also very comfy on the back (i haven't tried the hip position). Since I got it (only a month ago), four friends have also bought the same carrier as they have seen mine and been so impressed. It is the best baby product I have. My daughter dozes off happily if we go for a walk. I have also put her on my back and prepared dinner at home a couple of times when she hasn't been keen to sit on her own and play. It is a little tricky at first to put the baby on your back without help, however, after a few goes, I can now do this confidently. There is an excellent instruction booklet with photos to show you the different ways to wear the carrier. My daughter is so happy in the carrier. It is also small and light to pop in the bottom of the pram or in a bag.

I tried the Ergo too and found the Manduca more comfortable (although they are pretty similar). I am too lazy to learn to tie one of the wrap carriers properly, so the Manduca is the perfect alternative.

The only drawback is that it doesn't have a pocket for your money/keys/nappies etc (although there is a separate pouch that can be bought which clips to the belt).

It is also machine washable.

Overall a brilliantly designed and high quality product.
on 24 November 2015
have tested it, but will use it fully when baby is over 4 months old, just want to be safe; the baby feels happy in it, i have used the baby insert; very happy with the product, the material is good, super baby carrier
on 21 December 2014
Great carrier! I couldn't manage without it! My baby didn't like the fabric slings & the baby bjorn was too uncomfortable on my back & on my baby so this was a happy medium. Looks good in my husband too!
on 27 June 2016
This is a brilliant all round carrier.
I bought it as my little one is now 25lbs and I can't carry him on my front any more, but the structured rucksack carriers make him too heavy for me themselves.
Having used a jersey wrap, BabaSling, Bjorn Original, Bjorn Miracle and a homemade Mai Tai I can heartily recommend this one as one of the best. I think for a newborn, the Bjorn or a jersey wrap might be better, but for a slightly older baby I think this would be the best buy. It's worn front, back or hip and I can barely feel my toddler's weight now when he's on my back.
It claims to carry a child up to around age 5, though I think my knees will have given up before that becomes relevant!
Very good carrier: good value, comfortable for parent and tot and bundles up nicely for putting in bag, car or buggy.
on 4 January 2013
I have waited to review this carrier as I wanted to be able to review it carrying on the front and back.
On the front my daughter loved it as a little baby cuddling in towards me I could get on with preparing dinner, doing laundry or going to the shops. The hood to cover the baby is great as they can go off to sleep in a little cocoon.
I found the carrier incredibly comfortable and used the newborn insert a lot as my daughter is small for her age so lasted a long time this way.

I then had to get a baby bjorn as my daughter got older (note older not bigger) as she wanted to see the world and face outwards. This is the only downside to this carrier. There is no outward facing option and an inquisitive, extrovert baby wants to face outwards!
My daughter is between 2nd & 9th centile and so I could carry her until she was about 11 months for a long walk or food shop in this way, but after that my back began to ache.
Fortunately not long after she finally got big enough to go in the manduca again on my back.
This is really comfy for me to carry her and it is great when quickly popping in somewhere or taking her into cafes or shops where I don't want the buggy.
This should last us for ages and will be really useful on holidays etc when walking.
Please note: My daughter likes to walk and I haven't had her in the carrier for long walks yet as she is very active and doesn't like to be contained so I can't comment as to how long it is comfy for, but I am 5ft 3, 50kg and I feel like if she would stay there I could carry her for hours!
on 21 November 2014
Great carrier, very comfortable even for a very hefty 22 month old! A bit tricky to get her into it in the back position, good for someone else to be abel to check that she's safe and secure as can't do this yourself without the aid of a mirror. Front position also great although more comfortable when the straps are in criss cross position. - again you need someone to help with this. Non criss cross position is easy to get baby into but gets uncomfortable with a big baby for longer periods. Love that it's so portable, nice and light and doesn't have any big bars in it, very lightweight.
on 23 May 2016
I bought this after a recommendation from a friend. I was worried as I'm not quite 5ft tall and the last baby carrier I had my son was literally dangling on my bum! I didn't expect it to be so comfortable, obviously I can feel him on my back as he's 14 months old and is a chunky boy. He seemed to enjoy being in it.