Customer reviews

on 10 April 2012
I love how this book seems to de-complicate financial topics with ease. For months I have been searching for a book which guides you step by step through the whole process...and none do it better than Ciaran Walsh.

I originally thought this book would just be a list of final ratios with the calculations given for each one. Much to my surprise and delight, it was much more than that. Ciaran walks you through the basics of cash flow, balance sheets and P&L, with useful ratios applied to each, with sound advice provided throughout. Once you have gained an understanding of the basics, she then progresses into more complex territory like Shareholder Value Added (SVA) & Acquisition Analysis and all the ratios that accompany them.

By the end of the book, you feel like you have a real grasp on financial statements and key management ratios that you can make decisions on!

Having read a few investment books in the past, this one defiantly stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of understanding accounts & value drivers. Highly recommended!
2 people found this helpful
on 11 February 2018
Was struggling with this subject in Corporate Finance and Acquisitions class when this was recommended by my tutor. So much easier to follow and understand! Cleared up thw mysteries for me!
on 22 May 2015
By far the most useful book I have seen to give a non-expert real confidence in understanding the key information anyone in business needs. The author obviously knows what he's talking about, but - what's far more important - is unusually able to express complex ideas in simple language without being patronising. If only all business books were like this.
on 23 October 2016
This is a book that is beyond my expectation, which didn't just surprise me with extensive material but also with author's unique view of more common subject.
on 24 July 2013
I needed and relied on this tome when doing business in college-great, great book! Very easy to follow! Get it!
on 25 November 2012
Top choise to everyone who wants to understand the needed financial ratios so that to have the ability to understand the business in a company and in general
on 26 December 2011
To be honest I never liked finance very much - I thought it was boring and difficult. I'm not great with numbers. This book, however, has converted me - I really enjoyed reading it. It is much more than a book about ratios. It goes back to basics for the numerically challenged and assumes very little knowledge. I've looked at many balance sheets before but to be honest until I read this book I did not really know what I was looking for. Now I do. This is easily the best book I've read on finance full stop.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2009
A wonderful book if you want to understand financial terms. What really impressed me was the way that the explanations go beyond simple definitions, and bring the numbers to life. I had to study basic finance at college years ago, but this book has given meaning to what I learned then. It's easy to read, although you might want to spend a fair bit of time digesting each chapter. The examples are very helpful, and the layout and presentation make it a delight to read.
I wish this book had been around years ago!
4 people found this helpful
on 27 January 2012
I bought the travel edition at Heathrow Airport and frankly I have barely put the book down since I opened it.
It is clear, readable and easy to understand. The layout of the text and diagrams is superb.

As someone who qualified many years ago with Spicer and Peglar books which in the main were solid narrative, the books of today
must make studying for a professional qualification a sheer pleasure.

Congratulations to the author for writing this book
on 10 February 2009
Exceptional introduction into Accounting ratios. Excellent diagrams and a consistent, clear and well-structured layout throughout. Will come in use for any high-level analyst and serves as a great reference book for the more senior practioner.

The 2003 paperback edition was so good that the only thing changed in the 2008 version was the glossy cover!!

A must have.