on 18 September 2000
Another good field guide from HarperCollins. Detailed colour plates and species descriptions make identification almost as easy as it can be. It misses only two things to be perfect: a key (such as the one in the 'Reptiles and Amphibians') and more detailed drawings and measurements of skulls and teeth, which are very important for distinguishing between species of small mammals (as well as identifying remains from owl pellets). These flaws aside, this is (as well as the other Collins Field Guides) a good choice for all people interested in European animals.
on 16 October 2006
This is a superb book written by David MacDonald. Professor MacDonald is in charge of the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit at Oxford University, and has published very many scientific papers concerned with many mammal species. This book reflects his immense knowledge and experience, but in an interesting and readable form. Included in the book are all the mammals which any-one is likely to see in Great Britain and Europe, as well as useful information about how and where they live.

All this in a hardback format which can be used as a proper field guide. And at a fabulous value for money price - especially when you consider all the information contained in the book. If you are at all interested in mammals, buy a copy for your-self; and a second copy for the school library too. Brilliant!
on 18 June 2015
There is no denying that this is an excellent resource and has so far helped me as an amateur, hobby naturalist. Among other things I have used it to identify Trail Camera photos of small mammals in my garden, and deer and badger prints in the field. This books contains very good colour plates and fantastic descriptions filled with detail. Nevertheless, BUYER BEWARE I received from the seller the 1993 edition of this book which is /not/ the version displayed in the image.
on 26 June 2006
I recently bought this book and although agreeing with the comments of other reviewers there are two rather significant omissions: (1) hares in the Iberian Peninsula; (2) the Soprano Pipistrelle. Both are the result of fairly recent species splits. In the former case the Atlas of European Mammals recognises 3 hare species in the Iberian peninsula, the Brown Hare Lepus europaeus in the Pyrenees and the Cantabrian Mountains, the Broom Hare Lepus castroveijoi in NW Spain, and the Iberian Hare distributed throughout the peninsula. The Collins guide, only describes the Brown Hare, with a distribution map in agreement with the European Atlas. In the text there is a brief discussion of Mallorcan and Iberian hares, but this only exacerbates the inconsistency of the coverage. The omission of the Soparano Pipistrelle is more forgiveable, as this cryptic species was only discovered in the early '90s. Both issues arise because the book has not been revised since its first publication in 1993, and obviously editing was not at a very high standard in the first place.

I have not tried to check the accounts in much further detail: these were omissions which I discovered within a week or so: the first one because I caught a sight of a hare in the headlights of my car in the Sierra de Gredos, and I wanted to know more. I therefore believe that there are probably other areas of inconsistency & omission, and instead of getting 4 stars, I can only give it 3. A fairly simple revision, perhaps incorporating suggestions of other reviewers, could bring it back to a higher standard
on 15 January 2014
I have been looking for the book for ages but couldn't find it anywhere for a reasonable price. Perfect for my distance learning course in Wild Mammals.
on 7 August 2014
The book is OK but unfortunately I had a supposedly good condition second hand book as there were no new ones available at the time.
Main problem it is not the most up to date version, so well out of date which if I had known would not have bothered with.
Secondly NOT in good condition, will not make this mistake again with amazon.
on 4 February 2016
Have searched everywhere for this book and couldn't believe the prices being asked for it. I knew the latest (2005) edition had the image of an hare on the dustcover, so picked that one to buy. I was told in the information that the book was used (ex library but in good condition), the book that turned up was in good condition and very informative, it only had one small date stamp on it to show it was previously a library book, however it was a much earlier edition, (1993) than I was expecting and showed the original price of £19.99, I paid around the £34 mark, this earlier edition has images of an otter and a killer whale on dust cover, therefore the original advert image was misleading. I note previous reviewers have also made the same complaint. Having said all this I am happy with the book as it is very interesting and informative and ideal for an amateur wildlife enthusiast such as I. I just wonder if the newer edition had been updated and so I do feel a little mislead.
on 29 January 2011
"Collins Field Guide to Mammals of Britain and Europe" covers 200 mammal species found in Europe. The colour plates are quite good. The plates and the text are not on facing pages, however. Distribution maps are included.

My main objection to this field guide is that it claims to cover "Western Europe" without defining what Western Europe means. Some of the species covered can only be found in Italy, the Balkans or Greenland!

Many of the mammals covered are well known European species: wolf, brown bear, reindeer, moose or beaver. More surprising, perhaps, are the golden jackal and the Barbary ape. Even more surprising is the inclusion of the red-necked wallaby, an Australian marsupial found at two locations in Britain. Apparently, they escaped from captivity (who wouldn't?) and found the British heaths to their liking.

Most large land mammals are common knowledge (you can't miss a moose!) but if you absolutely must identify shrews, mice or bats, this field guide is probably a must. Interestingly, it has a companion volume, called "European Mammals: Inside their lives", but I haven't seen it. It's apparently more of a natural history than a field guide, and could perhaps be of some interest as well.
on 7 September 2015
Awesome book brilliant condition, came from Edinburgh library so a few stamps and stickers on it but nothing major and I really can't complain for the price.
on 21 May 2013
An Excellent guide which has been updated & already proving useful in animal bone recognition for my university course & upcoming report.