TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 June 2018
ABBA and sunshine and a stellar cast having just plain fun, what's not to like? This is one of those films that will always put me in a good mood. The music is catchy, the story is a fluffy romcom that doesn't take itself overly seriously, and Meryl Streep proves that she doesn't either. I absolutely love her in this. Also her female and male co-stars. I think my favourite is Colin Firth as the uptight London businessman Harry trying to relive his younger days as Harry Headbanger. And Pierce Brosnan, and Julie Walters, and Dominic Cooper. And everybody else.

No matter if you're watching this curled up on the settee with a glass of wine, or even only a nice hot cuppa, or if you're going to sing along on top of your voice and dance on the table, this is a must have DVD for every household with a woman in it.
on 7 September 2017
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! A real 'feelgood' film! If like me, you are old enough to remember when Abba first started making hits in the 70's, then you will love it too! By the end of it, I was wishing I was Julie Walters character...
3 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2012
This 2008 film is 108 minutes long. Rated PG-13 for some sex-related comments.

Set on a Greek island, the plot is told via a collection of ABBA songs. Sophie ( Amanda Seyfried ) who is about to be married discovers that any one of three men could be her father. She invites all three, Bill ( Stellan Skarsqhard ), Harry ( Colin Firth ) and Sam ( Pierce Brosman ) to the wedding without telling her mother, Donna ( Meryl Streep ), who was once the lead singer of Donna and the Dynamos. In the meantime, Donna has invited her backup singers, Rosie ( Julie Walters ) and Tanya ( Christine Baranski ).
The music of ABBA, comedy and romance what more can you ask for ? If your a die hard ABBA fan you may not like this but the genius of the soundtrack shines through. The cast appear to have put their hearts into the roles and even Mr Brosman gave his singing vocal chords a blast.

Julie Walters provides much of the comedy and is a joy to watch. Donna and the Dynamos are not a bad group, I have seen and heard worse on Top of the Pops & X Factor.

You also get Cameo appearances of Benny Andersson ( piano player ), Björn Ulvaeus ( Greek god ) and Rita Wilson ( Greek godess ). Rita Wilson is Tom Hanks wife ( the film was distributed in partnership with Tom Hanks' and Rita Wilson's Playtone and Littlestar )

It's an enjoyable film if you can forget the perfection of the ABBA originals.

The following songs are included in the film :-

"I Have a Dream" - Sophie
"Honey, Honey" - Sophie, Ali and Lisa
"Money, Money, Money" - Donna, Tanya, Rosie and Greek Chorus
"Mamma Mia" - Donna, Sophie, Ali, Lisa and Greek Chorus
"Chiquitita" - Rosie, Tanya and Donna
"Dancing Queen" - Tanya, Rosie, Donna, Greek Chorus and Company
"Our Last Summer" - Harry, Bill, Sam and Sophie
"Lay All Your Love on Me" - Sky, Sophie, Sky's Bachelor party friends.
"Super Trouper" - Donna, Tanya and Rosie
"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" - Sophie, Donna, Tanya, Rosie, Ali, Lisa and Greek Chorus
"The Name of the Game" - Sophie (deleted scene)
"Voulez-Vous" - Donna, Sam, Tanya, Rosie, Harry, Bill, Sky, Ali, Lisa and Pepper
"SOS" - Sam, Donna and Greek Chorus
"Dancing Queen" (Reprise) - Donna, Rosie and Tanya
"Waterloo" - Donna, Rosie, Tanya, Sam, Bill, Harry, Sky and Sophie
"Thank You for the Music" - Sophie
on 8 September 2014
What a masterpiece, what a work of art, and what an amazing cast. Where else would you see Mr Darcy cast as a gay, James Bond as a lovelorn hero and the tough Stellan Skarsgard as the romantic wanderer. The film is at times very emotional with Meryl Streep doing an excellent job as Donna who cannot believe that the love of her life has suddenly appeared in her goat house, along with the two men she had affairs with in order to forget him!!!
I am very envious of the fact that Christine Barenskis legs seem to go up to her shoulders, what a performer, the dance routine on the beach is magnificent, and Julie Walters seems to create laughs all the way through.
The stage musical is great, but this film downloaded onto my Kindle means I can sing along and smile or just get emotional absolutely anywhere.
on 13 March 2014
This was purchased for my sons who love musicals.

Forget the fact that it's a silly story, and that the story's been worked around the songs. It's just a fun film with Abba songs.

The Mamma Mia number is fun, and Meryl Streep and Julie Walters are brilliant in it!

I have read other reviews saying how dreadful the music is and it's not a "serious" story, etc, etc. Here's a tip, if you don't like Abba, then chances are you won't like this film. If you want something serious, you probably won't like it either. If you just want a fun film to watch for a couple of hours, and want to sing along to songs then this is a good film to watch! Besides which, my sons sing along and love it!
on 26 May 2017
Great fun. Pearse Brosnan's comedy skills are enhanced by that voice and I think he's aware of it. Acted really well. Colin Firth - a lovely voice as well as that face - he has it all. Who does not love Meryl who is fabulous as usual.
on 27 May 2012
I've got to say - I hate musicals. But I bought this little gem for my wife, and she absolutely loves it.
From my perspective the plot was a 3rd class citizen, the acting was rubbish and, given the calibre of the actors/actresses, it must have been by design. From her perspective it's the greatest movie we own because not only can you watch...you can sing-a-long too. (memo to me: sound of music next year)

I think, if you are looking for a serious piece of cinematography - forget it. If you want to watch some famous people have an absolute scream, whilst pratting around and singing (I use the word generously - but it's passable enough) Abba songs - then this could be the movie for you.

I can't deny it has given a lot of pleasure in our household - just not to me!
on 16 July 2008
Ok so Im no fan of musicals unless its on stage. They're a bit to cheesy for me and it all feels fake. So that and the fact that when I saw this on stage I wasnt that impressed dident give me that much high hopes for this but as Im a Swede and was a fan of ABBA when I was a kid made me want to see it anyway.
And my god it was hilarious! Meryl Streep is FANTASTIC (what a voice) especially when she sings "The Winner Takes It All" - thats one of those Wow moments you sometimes get in movies :-) Another actress that stood out was Julie Walters whom Ive always loved - shes the perfect choice for Rosie. But everyone was great in it.
This isnt a movie that has all that much to say BUT if you're looking for a good time and you want to feel a little happy this is perfect and I cant wait to see it again and again.....

And I will buy this DVD from UK as the Swedish subtitles was a joke! (Like always...)
on 18 July 2017
A great film that we watch again and again. If you like ABBA songs you will love this. I even have all these songs on my mobile phone.
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2013
You either "get" this film or you don't. I've seen the stage show which is brilliant and the basis for this movie adaptation. Merly Streep is just superb, showing a fun side to her character and singing really well. Pierce Brosnan - well, he can't sing but he has the physicality that the part requires and the rest all play their parts well.

We have the DVD and now the Blu Ray and the Blu-Ray is better. The film is shot mainly out of doors and really sparkles in HD. It just looks so clear. Sound is also spot on with great clarity all the way through.