Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 1998
Scott Cunningham weaves a spell with Magical Herbalism that is as extraordinary as the man himself. A long-time practitioner of the Metaphysical Arts, Scott's writing makes you feel as if you're talking to a caring and wise friend. He gives a plethora of good, solid information as well as tiny journeys beyond words and into imagination. This book has it all, including a table of correspondences for colors and the hours of the night. Cunningham entertains as he educates, bringing the best in magic to his readers with lightness and joy. Magical Herbalism is no different. Both novice and veteran will find something of interest within its covers with extensive information in an easy-to-read format. You can learn how to make amulets, potions, incenses, oils, sachets, simples, infusions and a garden to be used for magical spells and rituals geared to a variety of purposes. This book is a treasure.
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2004
I wasn't quite sure whether this was a totally magickal or medicinal book before I bought it so I thought I'd let you know in case you're disappointed.
This book deals only with herbs in relation to magick and ritual. It contains no information about medicinal uses, which I was hoping for. If you're like me then I'd suggest buying a herbalism book that is completely un-magickal such as 'A Modern Herbal'
If you're looking for magickal correspondences, however, then it's a great buy though it contains very little information on the growing of herbs.
Xx
on 28 January 1998
Scott has outdone himself once again with this jewel of a book. It covers everything a novice to an adept would need or want to know. I highly recommend his encyclopedia of magical herbs and his encyclopedia of incense, oils, and brews if you purchase this book. This book is great for beginners and experienced mages alike.
on 4 October 2009
I have been a practising Witch for over 10 years and this particular book by Scott Cuningham was most influential when I was first starting out.
It was this book that taught me Herbs have magical powers as well as healing properties. As a Pagan Hedgewitch and as a qualified Herbalist, I recommend this book to everyone who has a longing to walk the path of the Hedgewitch.
on 27 April 2011
I loved this book, it eases you into the topic of magical herbalism and leaves you with so many more ideas to explore once you're done, I'm eager to start making my own oils and incenses once my herb garden is ready.

The book is set up in three parts, the first gets the basics out of the way, through a 'short primer' on magic (this includes the purification bath mix that gets mentioned throughout the book, try not to miss it) to the tools, drying your herbs and lexicon of the words you may come up against in the second and third part.

Part two takes you through the different uses for your herbs, how to turn them into oils, incenses and setting up fluid condensers to capture their innate powers. There's also chapters on using the herbs for healing and protecting, and then you have a herbal of 118 herbs and their correspondences (along with their folk names which I found quite interesting).

Part three helps you set up your herbal garden, though is quite a small section, and is of course no replacement for a proper herb book if you're looking for more mundane advice on setting up your garden!

For a more 'mundane' garden book, I'd recommend 'The New Guide to Herbs: The New All-Color A-Z Guide to Herbs, Their Cultivation and Uses' by Andi Clevely to go with this, it has pictures of the herbs and a mixture of modern day and old uses of the herbs.
on 27 June 2013
Another excellent reference book which explores the magickal energy resident in plants and herbs. This is primarily a magickal book and does not contain information on herbal medicine.

We begin with the tools needed to practice magickal herbalism, helpful suggestions on how to consecrate and charge these items is included, followed by a quick Magickal primer discussing basic principles, correspondences and preparation.

The Witches Herbal is an index of magical herbs which includes the Latin and Common Names; Gender, Planet and Elementary Correspondences; Parts Used; Magickal Powers and Specific Uses.

There is a wealth of information contained within these pages ranging from practical advice on storing herbs to the spiritual implications of harvesting and collecting plants from the wild. Beginners and adepts alike will appreciate the helpful glossaries and appendices, recipes for Incense, Scented Oils, Perfumes and instructions for making Fluid Condensers and Amulets.
on 7 December 2013
I love this book I wasn't that much into Scott Cunningham ,but this book is amazingly informative .
Easy to follow and understand.It petty much gives you everything you need to know about Herbs ,from growing to to storing to their uses.
It is a little Gem of a book Highly recommend to any one just starting out as a budding Witch .
on 10 April 1999
Cunningham's books are always so delightful! This is a great little book for beginners in herbal magic(myself included), and the illustrations aren't bad either! I remember glancing over this book when I was 13 and had been looking for it ever since. Can you imagine my delight 8 years later when I finally found it again? I'll never give this book up!
on 18 February 2013
GREAT BOOK USED THIS LOTS OF TIMES GOOD READ EASY TO FOLLOW WOULD RECOMEND THE RECIPE FOR LOVE HONEY IT GOS DOWN VERY WELL WITH ALL MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS
on 5 November 2012
This book is the all time classic on Magical Herbalism. No self-respecting Wiccan/Witch should be without it. It is as simple as that. I wholeheartedly recommend it.